• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Magpie by any other name (Taiwan) (1 Viewer)

brd

I've always had a soft spot for Magpies, which I am used to seeing in Oregon. Arriving in Taiwan I was again exited to get close to some and snap some photos, and then read through the books as to what type it was. That's where the confusion set in.
In Mark Brazil's birds of East Asia, he lists it as a Common Magpie (Pica pica). However, in a local guide book I picked up specializing in birds of Taiwan, they refer to it as the Black-billed Magpie (Pica pica), the same that we have in Oregon. Then there is Wikipedia, (this is actually a great map: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PicaPica.jpg) which lists a sub-species (Pica pica sericea) and alternately calls it by the common name of the Korean Magpie, the Asian Magpie, the Chinese Magpie, and seems to both suggest that it is a Black-billed Magpie while also saying it can't be.
Of course, I understand that there are many different colloquial names for birds, and a second language is not a great place for agreement on local birds, and also that in the Pica Genus the taxonomy is a work in progress. So my real question is, if you have strong feelings about Magpies, what would you call this bird?

Attachments

• IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 58
The North American form (Black-billed, Pica hudsonia) is a widely recognized split from the Common Magpie (Pica pica). I would guess the Taiwan book is out of date on this (if you see a discrepancy between that book and Brazil's, I would go with Brazil, since it is more up to date).

Also some of the Asian forms have been considered potential splits, but I am not aware off the top of my head of any major checklist endorsing further splits of the Asian taxa.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back