• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shore Larks (1 Viewer)

alex berryman

Just after a bit of info on the Norfolk shore larks really, I'm heading up there end of december, just wondering if they will have arrived in decent enough numbers by then?

Also seen reports from Salthouse, Cley, Holkham everywhere really!! Do they tend to stick to one place for the winter, or do they change spot from week to week, or are there 6-7 flocks that explore the whole area?

Of course while I am up there I will be keeping an eye on RBA for more info!!

Alex

Hi Alex, a good place to search for Shore Lark is to walk west along the dunes at Titchwell marsh. This area also holds Snow bunting, but be careful not to walk too close to the dune system as both are rather flightly and could easily be disturbed. Alternatively walk west from Gramborough hill along the single towards Cley, this area is a well known regular spot for both.
Good luck!

Generally the biggest flock in Norfolk is at Holkham, if its a decent year the flock could reach 30 -40 and is seen on a daily basis. they can range a bit but generally walking onto Holkham Gap from Lady Ann's Drive then searching the stunted saltmarsh in the area up to a mile to the East should pay dividends, you should pick up Snow Buntings in the same area + Twite and Lapland

Anks for all the help guys, if they flock at hollham that would be the most convenient as I am staying in wells next the sea, although I have already got a trip planned for cley!! Excuse my ignorance, but what is the stunted saltmarsh?

Alex

Its the area of very short growing saltmarsh, the location of which was described in Pomskua's post - from the end of Lady Ann's Drive (now pay and display I understand?) take the boardwalk NE through the pines and then as the path swings right cut across onto the saltmarsh (partially enclosed by the dunes to the north). Next week may be a tad early for decent numbers to arrive, although with easterlies forecast who knows! Also good for Snow Bunt, Twite and occasional Lapland Bunts.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back