• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How best to photograph roosting waders (1 Viewer)

Video ends with 'This is a local beach for local people' ...is it a private beach?

A serious question I presume for one not familiar with A League of Gentlemen, a weird British TV programme where the shopkeeper and his wife (also his sister) won't tolerate strangers in their shop - "This is a local shop for local people, we don't want your type here."

The village is called Royston Vasey, the real name of Roy 'Chubby' Brown, a British Comedian.

Apologies if you can't access this link;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAZlFF5IXwY

Last edited:
Replace "birdphotographers" with "dog walkers with dogs off leash" and you got an idea what we face here on some shorebird beaches in our neck of the woods, where All Beaches are legislated On-Leash areas. Signage pointing this and the why out doesn't last long due to vandalism, birders trying to explain are ignored (or worse), and authorities seem to give a ......... when complaints are filed.

Roosting shorebirds are frequently disturbed by wakes, raptors swooping by ......, however those by some birders (yes, there are also ignorant individuals in our ranks), some birdphotographer, and those dog owners enjoying their pets chasing wildlife are avoidable, needless disturbances. Needless and pointless.

As it was pointed out the best way to snap shorebirds is to be there before they arrive. That takes a bit of knowledge, time and patience, something that more and more wildlife photographers of the digital generation seem to miss.

Thanks for your response, Chris. I guess these poor birds are always going to be disturbed by people who don't know any better, but thanks to this thread I've learned now to try to be a bit more careful - hopefully the guy in the video might too.

A serious question I presume for one not familiar with A League of Gentlemen, a weird British TV programme where the shopkeeper and his wife (also his sister) won't tolerate strangers in their shop - "This is a local shop for local people, we don't want your type here."

Edward typically says "This a local shop for local people, we'll have no trouble here"

Last edited:
this one
‘this is public land, and I have a right to be here, and you can’t tell me to leave'

Too right. I gather the chap last week with a large lens, who did much the same as the one in my video said more or less the same.

This is bob on too

Charles Hamilton James said:
Here’s my dos and don’ts of being a professional wildlife photographer.

The more professional you are, the less you –
wear camouflage
know how to use Photoshop
know what all the buttons on your camera do
care about mega-pixels
care how long your lens is
care about showing off how long your lens is
tell people loudly how they can improve their photos
have your tripod fully extended
have a business card with wildlife photographer written on it
stand in a huddle and take the same photos as everyone else
shoot after 8:30 in the morning
shoot sunsets
chase animals
know what an internet forum is
drape your camera in crap
use a tripod when using a wide-angle lens in the middle of the day.
use a cable release
read your camera’s instruction manual
are happy with just close-up portraits of animals
use large watermarks
use large watermarks with bad italic type faces

The more professional you are the more you –
care about the glass in front of your sensor
use prime lenses
shoot low angle
understand that the phrase ‘wildlife photography’ has the word ‘photography’ in it
understand what a decent photograph actually is
put animals in context with their environment
dare to be different
break the rules
understand lighting
use manual focus
understand depth of focus
are never happy with your images
understand composition
know about the animal you are photographing
care about the animal you are photographing
care about the world you are photographing them in

Last edited:
Love the 'wear camouflage' bit....earlier this year when the Grey Phal was in the kiddies' pool in Brighton showing to literally a few feet I had to walk away laughing at the long lens brigade splayed out horizontally around the grey concrete edge all wearing camo....nearly didn't see them....oh hang on. So very sad ;)

Love the 'wear camouflage' bit....earlier this year when the Grey Phal was in the kiddies' pool in Brighton showing to literally a few feet I had to walk away laughing at the long lens brigade splayed out horizontally around the grey concrete edge all wearing camo....nearly didn't see them....oh hang on. So very sad ;)
If only they'd been dressed in pale blue head to toe!
Russ

this one

Too right. I gather the chap last week with a large who did much the same as the one in my video said more or less the same.

That's the one.

The "conversation" on the shore tends to be :-

Disturbee - "You can't tell me what to do. If the birds dont like it, why dont they go somewhere else?". "Do you know who I am?" has been used occasionally.

Me - Reiterates the reason we're wardening the high tide roost and pointing out that it's only for an hour or so either side of high tide.

D - "I've lived here for 3 / 5 / 10 years and I've never seen you down here before"

Me - "The wardening scheme has been running continuously for the last 25 winters".

D - "Erm. ( long pause ). If you're so keen on saving your little birdies why come here bothering us? Go back and annoy people where you come from".

Me - "I was born and bred in West Kirby and, like you, I live here".

D - "I'll see the Rangers about this".

Me (very sotto voce) - "Oooh no. Not the ******* Lone Ranger".

Last edited:

Oi.... some of us had spent the morning freezing our bits off up in the Ashdown Forest dipping rare crossbills. Were we supposed to go home and get our urban camo on in between? Or put on a onesie and pretend to be an oversized kid? ;)

John

I too own a camouflage jacket. But in my defence, it's because it was cheap army surplus I can cover in mud without worry rather than because it's camouflage.

I too own a camouflage jacket. But in my defence, it's because it was cheap army surplus I can cover in mud without worry rather than because it's camouflage.

Yeah, I used to have several, but they were all issued. Not these days though. I just get my normal dark coloured civvies wet and muddy now;)

Yeah, I used to have several, but they were all issued. Not these days though. I just get my normal dark coloured civvies wet and muddy now;)

I can remember the utter astonishment at twitches such as the Golden-winged Warbler where first-day birders were all going off to work afterwards, and the Grove Ferry Slender-billed Gull, which broke during the morning, at seeing various worthies wearing a tie!!!

Not to mention suits, some of which even had stripes......

I dunno. I've seen birders slagged off for some stuff in my time but wearing dull-coloured or camouflaged clothing? Think that's a first!

John

I've got a couple of pairs of pseudo-desert camo shorts Aldi were selling earlier this year. I'd best throw them in the bin - 'cos I worry about what people think of me.:-C:-C:-C

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back