• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Double Crested Cormorant in Forest City (1 Viewer)

David in NC

My wife and I visited the campus of Isothermal Community College for about an hour today. There are always ducks/geese/waterbirds on the large pond there but today we also noted a double crested cormorant swimming (and diving) by itself. We both observed it for quite some time and both verified it in field guides.

Also noted were Canadians, Muscovy Ducks, some black gull-like birds (?) and a Great Blue Heron. Actually got to see the heron take a fish and eat it.

My wife and I visited the campus of Isothermal Community College for about an hour today. There are always ducks/geese/waterbirds on the large pond there but today we also noted a double crested cormorant swimming (and diving) by itself. We both observed it for quite some time and both verified it in field guides.

Also noted were Canadians, Muscovy Ducks, some black gull-like birds (?) and a Great Blue Heron. Actually got to see the heron take a fish and eat it.

Any plumage specifics for the Canadians?

Yeah - Tilley hats, down vests, khaki pants? May have been specimens of Homo canadensis aviphilus, the Northern Birdwatcher. I understand they commonly winter in S.C. and Florida, but may well be passing through your state on migration by now.

3:)

Yeah - Tilley hats, down vests, khaki pants? May have been specimens of Homo canadensis aviphilus, the Northern Birdwatcher. I understand they commonly winter in S.C. and Florida, but may well be passing through your state on migration by now.

3:)

Now THAT was funny! o:D :t:

Ironically, I HAVE a couple of Tilleys (but don't wear any hat for the most part) but almost always am wearing my khaki vest and khaki cargo pants! This is not just birding either-that's my daily wear. I have four identical lightweight khaki vests. Makes a good "concealment" garment and I love all the pockets.

I have to admit that since Canadians (GEESE) are everywhere I have been in the past week (even a marshy pond nearby) I didn't spend any time even looking at those.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back