Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Binocular bargains

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 373 votes, 4.94 average.
Old Monday 17th December 2018, 01:21   #3701
justabirdwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Conville View Post
Look, I think Cameraland is great. I've bought a lot of stuff from you guys. Great service and (sometimes) prices.

I just looked at your website. You show the Endeavor II 10x42s at $399. and there is no mention of a rebate. This is compared to B&H on this very item at $300. plus a $100. rebate from Vanguard.

Lumping B&H in with Amazon is unfair I think. B&H is a brick and mortar, has a large knowledgable staff, and has customer service on a par with Cameraland IMO.

I think you are saying give you a call and negotiate? If that's the case then OK.
Been using B&H and Adorama since I can remember. Probably the 90's. Never an issue and nothing but great service. I have nothing but great things to say about them both. This is no dis to Cameraland at all.
Old Monday 17th December 2018, 13:30   #3702
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by justabirdwatcher View Post
Do you feel they are better than the Legend M 8x42, and if so, how?
Yeah I do. I bought the Legend M for less that $200. Straight out of the box it had the top three WORSE focus adjustments ever to come thru my door(Zen-Ray ED2 not in picture, Terra in pic for size comparison only). I never used it past that. My Vanguard Endeavor ED II has stood the test of time for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68B83340-BEC2-4ADF-95C2-E440D61D5AA1.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	682544  

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 17th December 2018, 13:57   #3703
jgraider

chill, always love your analysis. Thanks again for that. How is the view through that Athlon, and which one is that?
Old Monday 17th December 2018, 21:39   #3704
justabirdwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
Yeah I do. I bought the Legend M for less that $200. Straight out of the box it had the top three WORSE focus adjustments ever to come thru my door(Zen-Ray ED2 not in picture, Terra in pic for size comparison only). I never used it past that. My Vanguard Endeavor ED II has stood the test of time for me.
I can't disagree on the focus wheel. I guess I was wondering how the optics compare though.
Old Tuesday 18th December 2018, 13:40   #3705
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraider View Post
chill, always love your analysis. Thanks again for that. How is the view through that Athlon, and which one is that?
The center binocular... I actually gave that binocular the ol' college try. Again the focus was a JOKE. STIFF and lots of play. Optics weren't bad at all. I'm trying to remember if I sold it or threw it away.

Quote:
I can't disagree on the focus wheel. I guess I was wondering how the optics compare though.
Kinda the same as above. I never compared to the Endeavor which has a buttery smooth focus. I did sell this one. Optics were actually pretty good. For me if can't can't be quickly and easily focused, out it goes.

Old Wednesday 19th December 2018, 13:58   #3706
Upland

Sierra Trading Post has the 8x44 Steiner Wildlife XP for $599. If you go through Active Junky you’ll get an additional 10% rebate.
Old Thursday 20th December 2018, 20:12   #3707
dustyroads

My $0.02 on the Legend M and Endeavor EDII: Although QC is getting better with Chinese-made binoculars, I don't think every example of a model will perform within tight parameters yet, at least for most brands. My 8x42 Legend Ms just arrived yesterday (got the $139 price from Focus), and they are bright (coatings, no doubt), but don't have the sheer resolution of my most-used binoculars, both of which are Japanese. In fact, they're not as crisp as either of my inexpensive Kowas (YF 6x30 and SV 10x50), which are Chinese-made, but from Kowa's design and under their management, I believe. The Legend Ms also long and heavy compared to most contemporary 8x42s. I'll probably keep them by one of our windows that faces a couple of feeders, or as loaners. Good but not great, but a good deal.

I haven't had the Endeavor EDII in 8x42, only in 10x42, but that one had similar issues: nice bright image, but could never snap high-contrast targets into truly sharp focus (trees against the sky at a mile or distant signage). I sent them back for that reason and for the short eye relief, mage worse by the amount of recess between the eye lens and eyecup rim. In their inability to crisply resolve high-contrast lines (and flare on stars), both these binoculars remind me of the Eagle Optics Atlas 8x42 I bought my mother: Solid "C+ to B-" performers at optical resolution, but no better (the Vanguard and Bushnells both have better coatings than the Atlas, though). So much positive feedback makes me wonder whether I just ended up with below average samples...

The best "cheap" Chinese-made binoculars I've owned are the Kowas. They don't have the latest shimmer-bright coatings, but I can clearly see individual blades of wild grass against the sky a half mile away.

EDIT: I spent some time with the Atlas 8x42 and Legend M 8x42 late this afternoon. What I wrote above still holds, but they are probably less far behind my Kowas than I thought (still, an apples-to-oranges comparison, since my Kowas SVs are 10x42). The Atlas and Legend M are very close in resolving small detail at a distance (this summer's thistle stalks and smaller grass at a measured .8 mile, against the sky), with the Bushnell's having a slight edge. Of course, these are only one sample of each.

Last edited by dustyroads : Friday 21st December 2018 at 00:08.
Old Friday 21st December 2018, 14:28   #3708
justabirdwatcher

Dustyroads, you're making me realize I must have a cherry example of the Legend M (8x42) because I literally could not tell the difference in center resolution between them and two pairs of Swaros (10x42 and 8x30 SLC's). They are the sharpest chinese-made bins I've ever looked through, with the most relaxed view. If only the focus wheel... LOL
Old Friday 21st December 2018, 19:25   #3709
dustyroads

QC differences

I definitely know that happens. It happened to me with the Kowa YF6x30. My first pair was fine, and got heavy use for 2+ years, then the focus/diopter adjustment got sloppy and I found myself having to adjust the diopter almost every time I used them, even when it was only me using them and the diopter adj. hadn't been touched. It just wouldn't stay linked. I sent them to Kowa USA under warranty and they sent a replacement (with a noticeably older serial #). It was out of collimation. I sent it back and got a pair with a higher serial # that would focus, but the focus wheel would creep (you could watch this happen - I sent Kowa a video of it). That got me my third replacement pair, which was sharp, well-collimated and had a properly-working focuser and diopter. I still have them and really like them, but I was one for three on the replacements. Pretty telling.

Quote:
Dustyroads, you're making me realize I must have a cherry example of the Legend M (8x42) because I literally could not tell the difference in center resolution between them and two pairs of Swaros (10x42 and 8x30 SLC's). They are the sharpest chinese-made bins I've ever looked through, with the most relaxed view. If only the focus wheel... LOL
Old Tuesday 25th December 2018, 00:19   #3710
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

The best $100.00 binocular I know of or have EVER heard of:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eagle-Optic...AWvI:rk:3:pf:0

I believe they were originally like $180.00 then EO reduced to $130 on close-out. Focus Camera must have bought the remaining inventory and selling for $99.99 including shipping!

Old Thursday 27th December 2018, 21:02   #3711
dustyroads

Vanguard Endeavor ED (not II) 10x42 $139.99 @ B&H:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Binocular.html

Ends in three days.

Last edited by dustyroads : Thursday 27th December 2018 at 21:17.
Old Friday 28th December 2018, 17:30   #3712
fazalmajid

B&H has the Kowa TSN-884 88mm straight spotting scope body only for $1600 until EOD Dec 29th

They also have $1400 off the Nikon WX binoculars.
Old Friday 28th December 2018, 19:31   #3713
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalmajid View Post
B&H has the Kowa TSN-884 88mm straight spotting scope body only for $1600 until EOD Dec 29th

They also have $1400 off the Nikon WX binoculars.
That is an amazing price for the 884, IMO. To my eyes that is one of, if not the, best scope around. If I could justify it (I just don't use a scope much), I'd have had one on the way already...
Old Sunday 30th December 2018, 02:05   #3714
BinoBoy

New Canon IS bins on sale at B&H Photo

B&H Photo has the new Canon IS bins on sale temporarily. I'm not sure how long these prices will be good.

The 10x32 is $700

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...tabilized.html

The 12x32 is $724

The 14x42 are $850

Old Thursday 3rd January 2019, 19:24   #3715
zzzzzz

The Camera Shop just listed a brand new Leica 7x42 HD on eBay

Item # 183619204888 new old stock $1200
Old Thursday 3rd January 2019, 21:04   #3716
zzzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzzzz View Post

Sold in record time who's the lucky dog? J
Old Thursday 3rd January 2019, 23:40   #3717
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:

Quote:
Sold in record time who's the lucky dog? J
It would have prob been me if I'd seen it in time!

I WONDER who bought it?

Old Friday 4th January 2019, 00:50   #3718
zzzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
It would have prob been me if I'd seen it in time!

I WONDER who bought it?
Justin did ... it was on his short list based on your reviews good deal nice binos.
Old Friday 4th January 2019, 17:34   #3719
DrewskiMT
Birder Hunter Observer

Bushnell Legend M are pretty awesome binos, and a good copy can be good enough for hardcore birding on very limited funds. Hear me out...

I have both the 8 and 10x42s for two years, and I am very impressed for a $160 ebay bino. They absolutely spank my 10x42 Vortex Diamondbacks (new model 2017), definitely outperform my 8x42 Nikon Monarch ATB (2009 ish) and Luepold Mojave 8x32 (Japan 2008).

I have used the Legends extensively for 3 hr Curlew surveys, all day raptor migration counts, multiple hour duck and shorebird viewing against harsh water glare and sunsets. I also hunt deer and elk with them. They are hands down the most accurate color binos I have used under $1000. The center field sharpness/resolution is good enough, and the center view is good enough for a half day - 4hrs - of hard viewing. They are much brighter and more relaxed - truer view - than all of my other binos, by far.

Their view is not so good across the whole field, but for $160, I don't mind panning to get the subject back into the center of view, where the optics are good, if not great.

I had them side by side with Maven B2 11x45 and could not believe that the Bushnells could keep up just fine in the center of the field of view. They were neck and neck in the center.

Just my 2 cents...

-Drew

Last edited by DrewskiMT : Friday 4th January 2019 at 17:36.
Old Saturday 5th January 2019, 03:20   #3720
justabirdwatcher

Quote:
They are much brighter and more relaxed - truer view - than all of my other binos, by far.
I couldn't agree more. Every time I look through my wife's Legend M 8x42's, I shake my head and laugh. I just can't believe how good the view is - as you describe very "true" - for the money. Great bins!
Old Thursday 10th January 2019, 14:57   #3721
Upland

Costco is selling GPO ED series. $299 for 8x32 and $329 for 8x42. They call the models Spectra instead of Passion but they look identical. Might be what GPO needs to stay afloat as I don’t get the impression they are doing as well as some of the other new companies like Tract and Maven.
Old Monday 14th January 2019, 14:45   #3722
dustyroads

I've had some more time with the Legend Ms and they're growing on me. Oddly their twilight performance isn't as good as either of my 10x50s, and maybe not quite as good as a pair of Olivon 8x42s I bought to keep in my car. I do agree about a "relaxed" view, but I've never kept a pair of binoculars that were too narrow or caused my eyes to do a realignment when I stopped looking through them. Fine to keep by the window or for loaners.

Sorry, the Kowas mentioned above are 10x50, not 10x42.

Last edited by dustyroads : Monday 14th January 2019 at 14:49.
Old Monday 14th January 2019, 15:03   #3723
cycleguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upland View Post
Costco is selling GPO ED series. $299 for 8x32 and $329 for 8x42. They call the models Spectra instead of Passion but they look identical. Might be what GPO needs to stay afloat as I don’t get the impression they are doing as well as some of the other new companies like Tract and Maven.
Upland,

Do you know if these are available at retail locations or is it an on-line purchase only? I'm not a member but can get around this if needed and think it would be worth the effort to check them out for the replacement car binocular.

CG
Old Monday 14th January 2019, 19:36   #3724
Upland

I haven’t seen any here in MT although it’s possible some of the larger stores have them. I beleive you can purchase them online as a non member though. Certain items say members only but these do not. You also get free shipping and I think you could return them to a warehouse if you’re non member as well. Best to check on that though.
Old Tuesday 15th January 2019, 22:33   #3725
Robert Moore

Zeiss 10x56 fl in excellent condition just sold on eBay for $875.00.
Wow what a deal someone got on those.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: