• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My “NEW” Trinovid BN (1 Viewer)

xu42

Last year I sent my old Trinovid 8X42 BN to Leica for internal cleaning under their goodwill service. To my surprise, besides the cleaning, Leica changed all the rubber armor to new, replaced the objective glass and eyepiece glass. Free of charge.

Now the coating is like new and try them with water and…I FIND THEY ARE AquaDura!!!
:eek!::eek!:

Attachments

• IMG_8908.jpg
    IMG_8908.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 382
  • PICT0003.jpg
    PICT0003.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_8911.jpg
    IMG_8911.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 348
Look out Swaro, Leica is nipping at your heels for best customer service. HUH? Leiiiica?

This is exactly the kind of stories would-be Leica owners need to hear. Perhaps it was that big loss of $10 million in 2009 that shook them out of their complacency. Or the fact that up until now, Swaro and Zeiss had two product lines to entice buyers so they were losing out on a whole segment of buyers. Or hopefully, it was all the numerous complaints about their service on BF that made them change their stripes.

A few years ago, I balked at buying a pair of 8x32 Trinovid BNs for $550 because there was no "Goodwill" policy then. Knowing the high costs of repairs, I'd be stuck with a repair bill that might be as much as what the Trinnie cost me, so I passed. Today, I would go for it. Well, if I had the spare change.

They do look brand new, and Aqua Dura coatings to boot! Even the new Trinnies don't have water repellant coatings, according to the review I just read.

You did well. Now let's see if Leica is consistent or spotty in their service.

Brock

Last year I sent my old Trinovid 8X42 BN to Leica for internal cleaning under their goodwill service. To my surprise, besides the cleaning, Leica changed all the rubber armor to new, replaced the objective glass and eyepiece glass. Free of charge.

Now the coating is like new and try them with water and…I FIND THEY ARE AquaDura!!!
:eek!::eek!:

Wow, and you didn't even have to "pull any strings"?

Xu42
Stunning service, and you can see from the photo that the coatings are first rate. Funny they just happened to have some Aquadura BN lenses laying around, isn't it? This provides further circumstancial evidence for something I have thought for a some time: The Trinovid BA, Trinovid BN, Ultravid BR and Ultravid HD all have exactly the same optical design.

Can you see any difference in the view? The transmission should be up a tad from the coatings, and the cleaning.
Ron

Xu42
Stunning service, and you can see from the photo that the coatings are first rate. Funny they just happened to have some Aquadura BN lenses laying around, isn't it? This provides further circumstancial evidence for something I have thought for a some time: The Trinovid BA, Trinovid BN, Ultravid BR and Ultravid HD all have exactly the same optical design.

Can you see any difference in the view? The transmission should be up a tad from the coatings, and the cleaning.
Ron

I also think BA, BN, BR, HD share the same basic optical design. My BN is quite bright now, with a slight of unique leica's warm tone. I think the prism of BN lack dielectric coatings(HighLux), so HD may be brighter.

I wonder what the binocular looked like when you sent it in for "cleaning" to get this kind of service? Do you have pictures of it then?

Bob

I wonder what the binocular looked like when you sent it in for "cleaning" to get this kind of service? Do you have pictures of it then?

Bob

before and after

It's second hand item and cost me 5600RMB=$890, the serial is 1497xxx, old one. When I got it, clean marks on all outer glass. I found some fiber like condensation (not fungus) on the glass inside, and I decided to have it cleaned. It's not sold by authorized dealer in China, I was charged a shippment fee by the Chinese Leica distributor.

Attachments

• 20100824196.jpg
    20100824196.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_8908.jpg
    IMG_8908.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
My Trinovid 10x32s are currently being serviced by Leica in Germany. My experiences with Leica in 2010 were very bad (see http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=180303), and that particular episode of delays ended up with the binos being returned to me and a stroppy letter going to the relevant Director at Leica...then 12 months later I found some humidity/fungus inside one of the chambers, causing me to return them to Leica again now.

As reported in this thread, it appears that things might be looking much better in Leica Customer Service now - I have received two emails since they received the binos to confirm receipt and to inform me of what they will do (and that they will do it for free). Also, Leica now have a new distributor in Thailand so I am hopeful that customer service locally will improve - it should do as their is a swelling middle class here who will be wanting to buy optics and cameras baring little red spots on them, being a rather label-aware society.

I will report back once the binos are returned...

Just a quick email to share the latest experience with Leica Service. I bought an Ultravid 8x20 (a superb piece by the way) few months ago, and despite registering by mail, did not receive the usual warranty card. I dropped them an email, and within 48 hours got a reply back from Germany in which they also asked their counter colleagues in New Jersey to address my concern. New Jersey confirmed my request by email, and the card arrived few days later. Hopefully, this is an indication that customer service is high in Leica's agenda, as it should be. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back