Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2018

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 25th December 2018, 12:51   #1401
moorethm9
Stevethm

Slender-billed gull on the beach at Llenaire, Puerto Pollensa early afternoon,when it flew back towards the town.
Old Tuesday 25th December 2018, 16:07   #1402
Mike Montier

Thanks Kevin, merry Christmas to everyone from me too.
Moorethm9, well done with the Slender-billed Gull, a very scarce bird in Mallorca.
I will be back at the weekend and will be out birding again as soon as I can. Mike.
Old Wednesday 26th December 2018, 19:25   #1403
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Hoopoes's Festival

This afternoon near the Depuradora of s'Albufera ona festival of hoopoes, at least 24 (probably more) in several wires, just so strange.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24Puputs800.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	683084  
Old Wednesday 26th December 2018, 20:43   #1404
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep Manchado View Post
This afternoon near the Depuradora of s'Albufera ona festival of hoopoes, at least 24 (probably more) in several wires, just so strange.
What an amazing spectacle Joseph, and is that an out in the open Sardinian Warbler on the fence next to the sparrow?
Old Wednesday 26th December 2018, 20:48   #1405
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prior View Post
What an amazing spectacle Joseph, and is that an ‘out in the open’ Sardinian Warbler on the fence next to the sparrow?
Yes, there were also thekla lark, black bird, willow warbler, thrush, stonechat, some people told me than maybe they were all pointing the situacion of an owl, because it is strange so many species and birds just there noisy and nervous.

The pity is that i was looking for Short-ear owl, so maybe it was just there... Who knows
Old Wednesday 26th December 2018, 22:35   #1406
Mike Montier

Amazing event Pep, I have never seen anything like it. The most I have ever recorded is nine lining the road in the way down to the Cap de Ses Salines. I believe the birds were migrants but the birds in your photograph must be resident birds surely? I normally only see Hoopoes on their own in winter so even more strange.
I will be at Leighton Moss late morning tomorrow so if anyone is around, it would be nice to say hello. Mike
Old Friday 28th December 2018, 21:30   #1407
Mike Montier

When I saw a photograph taken today of a summer plumaged Black guillemot, even I thought something was amiss. Then I realised that it was April Fools Day in Mallorca, the first year ever that I haven’t dashed off for the most unlikely rarities.
Back home tomorrow and I hope to add a couple more species to my list before the year runs out. I still won’t make 200 though. Hopefully I can fare better in 2019.
I hope everyone has recovered from all the festivities, Mike.

Last edited by Mike Montier : Friday 28th December 2018 at 22:55.
Old Saturday 29th December 2018, 16:49   #1408
Mark Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep Manchado View Post
The most I have seen there is 18, on 4th Sept. 2017.
Old Saturday 29th December 2018, 21:33   #1409
VincentB

Last year in early September I saw about 25 hoopoes in one group, just after the last turn to the tower at Son bosc.
Old Monday 31st December 2018, 13:39   #1410
Mike Montier

As the year comes to a close, I would like to thank everyone for their contributions to this thread, all visitors for their trip reports, photos and other information, Martin for his expertise with moths and insects, Maties for putting me right on my mis-identifications, Pep for sharing so much local knowledge and photos, Carlos for producing the annual report and Steve for translating it and maintaining the rare birds web site.
Undoubted highlight of the year was the second ever record of Red-flanked bluetail at La Gola found by Cristina.
For me, the passage of shearwaters during spring is my favourite day out closely followed by the raptor migration in Spring and autumn.
It really is a fantastic Island to live on and I am looking forward to another year here with hopefully some super birds and some more rarities.
I hope to meet up with many of you again during the coming months.
Happy New Year to all, above all good health.
Mike
Old Monday 31st December 2018, 15:58   #1411
Merlin

The same to you Mike and all contributors to this thread, it cheers me up when I read it and reminds me that it will not be too long before I go back to Majorca.

best regards
Merlin
Old Monday 31st December 2018, 18:23   #1412
stuartg

Many thanks for running this thread Mike, I really do enjoy seeing the reports. I did get a week in Mallorca this year and had a great guided tour with Cristiina again and got to mee the famous Pep briefly too. I hope to be across in 2019, reading this thread certainly draws you back and adds to the anticipation of the next visit. I am looking forward to the 2019 version.
Happy New Year
Stuart
Old Monday 31st December 2018, 19:45   #1413
Mcnswiss2

Thanks Mike
Wishing you all a great slide into the New Year!
Happy New Year
Mike
Old Monday 31st December 2018, 19:47   #1414
kevinh

Happy new year to all.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: