• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Links to digitized versions of original sources of bird names (3 Viewers)

I can't find that one, sorry.
The older volumes of the journal are mostly freely accessible at https://journals.co.za/content/journal/nfi_annalstm/browse?page=archive-issues , but a couple of issues are lacking, and these include this one. It's post-1923, thus not very likely to be made accessible by a third party.

For what it's worth, this should be in:
Roberts A. 1936. Some unpublished field notes made by Dr (Sir) Andrew Smith. Ann. Transvaal Mus., 18: 271–323.

Last edited:
Catalogue raisonne, d'une Collection supérieurement belle d'Oiseaux (1764). Several species described by Pallas, e.g. Spotted Flycatcher. Available anywhere, please?

Excellent, thanks!

Edit - an interesting follow-up point: Pied Flycatcher next above Spotted, both described in this work for the first time. So how did Linnaeus manage to miss these species, which are both abundant in the area where he lived??

Last edited:
...So how did Linnaeus manage to miss these species, which are both abundant in the area where he lived??
Linnaeus didn't miss neither the (European) Pied Flycatcher Ficedula hypoleuca (Pallas 1764), nor the Spotted Flycatcher Muscicapa striata (Pallas 1764).

As far as I know he knew them both (even if they, in his Era, weren't nearly as common as they are today in Sweden, far less so), they are/were both mentioned, several times, in various books, during the 1730's and -40's, ... he simply didn't describe them good enough, in or post-1758 (the very starting point/year of modern taxonomy). ;)

/B
--

Last edited:
More on Vroeg's Catalogue 1764:
Birds in the sales catalogue of Adriaan Vroeg (1764) described by Pallas and
Vosmae
2000. http://www.rhinoresourcecenter.com/pdf_files/117/1175856060.pdf .
Charles Richmond 1905 : https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/35633#page/484/mode/1up .
C. Davies Sherborn 1905: https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/35633#page/474/mode/1up .
"It was easy for me to verify our data set of names, and in fact it turned out that Sherborn must have relied on a third source,” (???)

Last edited:
Full quote:
“It was easy for me to verify our data set of names, and in fact it turned out that Sherborn must have relied on a third source,” explains Welter-Schultes. “There were so many inaccuracies in the spellings of the names that we must assume that Sherborn, who in his work (published in 1902) had a very low average error rate, did very probably not extract those names from an original copy of the 1764 work.”
... and onwards (from here)

If of any help?

/B

Where can I find Upucerthia harterti in Jahr.Allgem.Deutsch.Orn.Ges. p.10? I seem to be to stupid to find it online. Assume must be something like Jahresversammlung der Deutschen Ornithologischen Gesellschaft.

• "Upucerthia harterti" BERLEPSCH 1892 (here), though in Journal für Ornithologie; Bericht über die XVII Jahresversammlung (Allgem. Deutsche Ornitholog. Gesellschaft zu Berlin), starting on p.443, with "Upucerthia harterti" on p.452 (i.e. on p.10 of the Bericht ... itself.)

Hopefully of some help?

Björn

Is this somewhere online?

Carlo Ettore Arrigoni degli Oddi: Note sopra alcune nuove sottospecie osservate negli Uccelli di Sardegna. In: Avicula: giornale ornitologico italiano. Anno 6, 1902, S. 102–105.

I could find only Anno 1 here 1897.

Sorry Martin, I can't find it (at least not in full access*), and I know we've been searching for the same Journal earlier (with little or no luck, here, back in January 2015) ... however I assume you're looking for the OD of the Blackcap ssp. Sylvia atricapilla pauluccii ARRIGONI (degli Oddi) 1902, as "Sylvia atricapilla Pauluccii" a k a Paulucci's Blackcap

Without knowing the exact reason why you want to find it I cannot help much, but if the reason is the eponym, see the Paper; Eponyms honouring Marianna Paulucci (1835-1919), by Manganelli, Lori & Cianfanelli (2009), here. If so, you'll end up with the the Italian naturalist Marchesa Marianna Panciatichi Ximenes d’Aragona Paulucci (1835–1919), commemorated in loads of various taxa (mostly slugs/snails, in Gastropoda).

Today's HBW Alive Key have the same Lady, here (even if James prefer to write her many names, and titles, in a slightly different order). Which version (of her full name) is the most preferable boils down to tradition, language, culture, taste etc., etc. Simply adapt it to your own situation and context.

Either way; good luck finding it!

Björn

______________________________________________________________________________________________
*The Avicula : giornale ornitologico italiano, v.5-8 (1901-1904) is to bee seen here, (but only with; Limited access for us Europeans, i.e. US access only).

Maybe Mark can read it (or anyone else of our US companions)?

Without knowing the exact reason why you want to find it I cannot help much, but if the reason is the eponym, see the Paper; Eponyms honouring Marianna Paulucci (1835-1919), by Manganelli, Lori & Cianfanelli (2009), here. If so, you'll end up with the the Italian naturalist Marchesa Marianna Panciatichi Ximenes d’Aragona Paulucci (1835–1919), commemorated in loads of various taxa (mostly slugs/snails, in Gastropoda).

No I just asked myself about the reason why Arrigoni honered Ernst Hartert in Dendrocopos major harterti . The dedication is obvious but just was curious.

No I just asked myself about the reason why Arrigoni honered Ernst Hartert in Dendrocopos major harterti . The dedication is obvious but just was curious.
"Dedico questa sottospecie al Dr. Ernesto Hartert, che per primo rilevò le differenze sottospecifiche del Picchio rosso maggiore sardo (Nov. Zool. VII, dec. 1900, pag. 528)."

(I dedicate this ssp to Dr. Ernst Hartert, who first noted the subspecific differences of the Sardinian Great Spotted Woodpecker (Nov. Zool. VII, dec. 1900, pag. 528).
[Here] -- last sentence under "3. Dendrocopus major subsp. ?".)

Anyone know if this is available online, please (I couldn't find it):
Bonnaterre, 1790. Tableau Encyclopédique et Méthodique des Trois Règnes de la Nature. Ornithologie (specifically Livr.38 pl.94 fig.2 1 p.208 - Perdix barbara [Alectoris barbara])

BHL only have an 1823 edition, with very different numbering.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back