• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pallas's Gull / Oman (1 Viewer)

Jose605

Congo-Brazzaville
I believe there are all Pallas's at different stages (apart from the obvious Sootys and Terns in the background).

Could you please confirm?

Best,

Jose

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 8.21.31 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 8.21.31 PM.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 8.21.41 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 8.21.41 PM.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 110
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 8.22.00 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 8.22.00 PM.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 8.21.50 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 8.21.50 PM.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 114
I think you are correct on the first 3 images but the last one is certainly not a Pallas's Gull, looks like an adult Lesser Black Backed to me.

Cheers

Alan

Fairly sure that only the first image refers to Pallas's Gull. All other large gulls are probably Heuglin's type, whilst the smaller darker gulls are Sooty, and the terns appear to be Greater Crested Tern.

Stu

Last edited:
Thank you both for the feedback!

Heuglin's are common in the area as well. So you're probably right, Stuart.

Cheers!

:t::t:

I wouldn't call the last one heuglini - back too light, head is too rounded, eye small and dark, doesn't look "mean" enough. Maybe an adult Steppe Gull (barabensis.

Thank you for your input, Andy.

Would Steppe be Caspian?

Cheers.

I would agree that it looks like a good candidate for barabensis but they are difficult to separate and the colour of the mantle is notorious for being light sensitive. I would need to see other features to confirm.

With IOC, barabensis is currently being lumped with Lesser black-backed Gull ie Larus fuscus barabensis whilst Caspian is regarded as a separate species in its own right Larus cacchinans.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back