• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrine falcon vs Goshawk (1 Viewer)

I did ask you on 13th November if your interest was in falconry and you replied " just food chain and bird behaviour".
A pest is just a species deemed a nuisance by a human. I hope you see the light to appreciate fauna another way.

Yeah it was just the questions that appear in your mind although after thinking I now want to be a falconer and own birds of prey for myself.

I think you are on the wrong forum. See the site notice board.

"Please - no discussions relating to hunting, pigeon racing, the keeping of caged birds, captive birds or falconry. BirdForum is about the enjoyment and appreciation of WILD birds and other WILDLIFE".

Try the "British Falconers' Club".

Last edited:

"Please - no discussions relating to hunting, pigeon racing, the keeping of caged birds, captive birds or falconry. BirdForum is about the enjoyment and appreciation of WILD birds and other WILDLIFE".

Try the "British Falconers' Club".

Yes I understand
I will aim my posts at wildlife from now on just to mention
Thanks, Alfie

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, Fugl did ask me what pests i want eliminating so what was I supposed to do? Aswell what's wrong with owning birds of prey?

The fact is this is BIRDFORUM!! I'm guessing the vast majority of members are totally against recreational annihilation of ANY wildlife and putting anything in a cage.Locking up a magnificent bird of prey in a cage just for the short term gratification of using it to kill other creatures when it should be free in the wild is WRONG!! If this is your preferred direction then I'm sure there must be some falconry websites or Facebook groups which be better placed to answer your questions. Maybe think about becoming a birder or conservationist.
Russ

To be honest, Fugl did ask me what pests i want eliminating so what was I supposed to do? Aswell what's wrong with owning birds of prey?

Alfie

This site does not discuss falconry because it is a site for the appreciation of wild birds (and associated subjects) and not about birds in any form of captivity.

Ruffled Feathers exists as a place for discussion of topics unsuited to the rest of the site.

Lee

Its all down to me being a 12 year old and thinking of being a falconer in the future not that I want a crazy supreme ultimate predator but to single them down to a bird I can own myself to help keep down the pest population in my area. Hope this answers your question.

I was also a 15 year old fascinated by birds of prey, and I still am - still have the same interest (if not more) I mean - I certainly wish I was still 15!

I did not fully realize when I was 15 just how much knowledge, time, effort, and money is needed to get, and then to keep, a bird of prey in flying condition (able to catch wild quarry). Keeping a bird "feather perfect", because even one damaged flight feather will affect its ability to fly, needs special facilities a bit like keeping a horse. Getting it fit - an unfit bird trying to catch wild quarry is like you trying to win the 100m race in your school athletics competition without training - is difficult even for experienced falconers. Someone doing it for the first time will always make mistakes, and without the help of someone with experience, those mistakes almost always end up with the bird either dead or lost. It's said that a fighter jet like a Typhoon or a F-22 requires several hours of work on the ground for every hour that it's in the air. The same is more or less true of trained birds of prey.

Then to hunt your bird effectively you need to have enough space and be in a situation where people will not interfere with you. In the UK that can be very difficult. The main reason why large falcons like peregrines were flown by kings and barons in the old days was because only those people had control of enough land to fly them over. You also need to understand whatever it is you want to catch well enough to give your bird a decent chance of catching it.

All these problems mean that only very few people are really able to practice falconry properly. In the US you must learn from an experienced falconer before you can own a bird of prey. It's best to do this in the UK too. If there is a bird of prey centre in your area they may let you help them out during your school holidays. You may also be able to find someone willing to let you help at www.falconryforum.co.uk but be warned, they can be very rude there.

But the most important thing I know now that I didn't when I was 15 is that it is possible to watch wild birds of prey more easily than you might think. Peregrines, especially, are not as rare as they used to be. A quick google will find you some info on where they can be seen in and around Manchester. Watching wild peregrines needs patience (I admit I didn't have much of this when I was 15) and time, but much less so than what a falconer needs. If you spend enough time watching them you will see some truly incredible things. Pretty much every falconer dreams of having their birds flying like wild ones (a dream that is incredibly difficult to achieve). Over a year's watching you have a really good chance to see flights that probably 9 out of 10 falconers able to fly peregrines regularly would never see from their birds. Over the next month or so the pairs resident near you will be patrolling their territories, driving away intruders, and doing courtship displays which can be as spectacular to watch as hunting. You may well see them hunt, too. Your chances of seeing them fly are best on bright sunny days. You will need binoculars to stay with them when they are too high to see with your eyes alone. Troubador can advise you which ones to save up for ;)

I have probably gone on for quite a bit, but I know I would have liked to have known all that when I was 15. Good luck and maybe in a few months you will be telling us what you have seen while watching your local birds.

"Please - no discussions relating to hunting, pigeon racing, the keeping of caged birds, captive birds or falconry. BirdForum is about the enjoyment and appreciation of WILD birds and other WILDLIFE". ....

Alfie, Animals inherently deserve to be wild and free, and this includes all raptors.

Thus there is everything wrong with "owning" birds of prey .... Ask yourself how would you like to be "owned" by aliens - imprisoned, and deprived of your freedom to live life like you were born free to do? How would you like to be kept as a 'plaything' just because they thought you were 'cool' ?

My guess is if you truly imagine being denied being able to do everything you like - you would hate it. That should tell you something.

Why not become interested in observation, conservation, become a national parks ranger, a biologist, or even a veterinarian, etc. The much better karmic path should ensure that you remain safe from alien abduction and probing ;) That's pretty good incentive to study hard! :t:

Chosun :gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back