• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wren Species, Nevada, USA (1 Viewer)

frejaya

We saw this wren doing acrobatics and it was adorable.

Having trouble identifying it though...it looks like many different types of wrens, they're so similar!

We have a couple theories, maybe Bewick's, maybe Sedge, but want additional opinions.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-03-23 at 6.08.20 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-23 at 6.08.20 PM.png
    78 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot 2019-03-23 at 6.08.03 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-23 at 6.08.03 PM.png
    144.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot 2019-03-23 at 6.06.37 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-23 at 6.06.37 PM.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2019-03-23 at 6.06.57 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-23 at 6.06.57 PM.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot 2019-03-23 at 6.07.26 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-23 at 6.07.26 PM.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 17
More pictures of more angles.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-03-23 at 6.07.43 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-23 at 6.07.43 PM.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot 2019-03-23 at 6.08.43 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-23 at 6.08.43 PM.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot 2019-03-23 at 6.09.15 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-23 at 6.09.15 PM.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 17
Where in Nevada? Sedge Wren would be a very rare bird anywhere in the state. This is a not-all-that-unusual case where a decent set of field notes—written or recorded—would be worth a thousand fuzzy photos.

Where in Nevada? Sedge Wren would be a very rare bird anywhere in the state. This is a not-all-that-unusual case where a decent set of field notes—written or recorded—would be worth a thousand fuzzy photos.

Clark County Wetlands Park at 12:11 PM. It didn't make a lot of noise, mostly just flopped around in the reeds with one foot on one reed and the other foot on another reed. We heard the reeds rustling and that drew our attention to it.

The expected species in that kind of habitat anywhere in Nevada would be Marsh Wren and that’s my best guess for your bird. A couple of your photos show whitish streaks on the back which eliminates Bewick’s Wren (though not Sedge unfortunately).

The bill strikes me as a bit too long for Sedge Wren? The photos might not be ideal to judge this, but somehow it doesn't look right to me.
I have no experience with Marsh Wren, but I used to see Sedge on a daily basis on the Falkland Islands, as Sedge is common around the albatross colonies (on dense tussock grass) where I worked for some years.

The bill strikes me as a bit too long for Sedge Wren? The photos might not be ideal to judge this, but somehow it doesn't look right to me.
I have no experience with Marsh Wren, but I used to see Sedge on a daily basis on the Falkland Islands, as Sedge is common around the albatross colonies (on dense tussock grass) where I worked for some years.
South American 'Sedge Wren' has been split now (as Grass Wren: scroll about ⅓ down), so bill length of Falklands birds may not be relevant in this instance :t:

South American 'Sedge Wren' has been split now (as Grass Wren: scroll about ⅓ down), so bill length of Falklands birds may not be relevant in this instance :t:

Thanks. I knew the split was coming, just didn't know it had been accepted. The various species were split based on molecular data (together with ecological supporting data). But the morphological study from 1988 (Traylor 1988) covering the South American taxa, has not taken into account bill length (relative or absolute), only the following:
The characters used were wing length; relative tail and tarsal lengths (tail/wing and tarsus/wing ratios); crown pattern (streaked or plain); extent of streaking on back; rump and lower back (called "rump" for convenience) pattern (plain, barred, or streaked); and rectrices, (whether the inner webs of pairs 2-5 are barred or washed with black).
Perhaps because bill wasn't variable enough within SA? But no comparisons are made with the North American taxa.

In any case, the difference of bill structure (length) between Marsh and Sedge wrens is well illustrated in the Sibley guide (the longest billed Sedge should still be a relatively short-billed bird). The OP bird seems perhaps to be closer in bill length to Marsh, as illustrated in Sibley.

Excellent, thank you so much everyone for the detailed opinions! This is really helpful and educational for us beginning birders! It helps a lot to know some of the markers that are distinctive. I've only seen a couple Marsh Wrens and they were so much darker with stronger colors than this one that it confused me!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back