• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dowles Brook, Wyre Forest (2 Viewers)

You do get Spot Fly's there as well. Are you sure it wasn't a Spot Fly?

No, far from it, but I haven't seen anyone else reporting Spotted Flycatchers as having arrived yet and I'm still not confident on calling 'new' species ahead of the vastly more experienced folks who also post here. Were there any Spotted Flycatcher reports yesterday?

Looking at photos of both species online, I was viewing the bird from behind and so would have missed any steaking on the breast, so I'm going purely on the similarity in size and appearance from that angle. I did see at least one Garden Warbler singing from a similarly prominent position yesterday, but the fly-catching behaviour loooked more like what I've seen from Spotted Flycatchers in the past.

To answer my own question - just checked Twitter - lots of reports of Spotted Flycatchers from mid-Wales, Gloucs etc yesterday, and within the last hour a report of Spotted Flycatcher in the Wyre Forest this morning.

Spotted flycatcher tend to be more upright than normal warblers and I have seen lots of warblers...even Robins catching flies like Flycatchers.

Spotted flycatcher tend to be more upright than normal warblers and I have seen lots of warblers...even Robins catching flies like Flycatchers.

Thanks Keith. I'll have to have a potter back over there to see if I can track down a Spotted Flycatcher in a couple of weeks.

Midday onwards and hot, brimstones on the wing at least a dozen seen. Wood warblers in the Dowles brook valley mostly on the Worcestershire side . A family of dippers at the next bridge upstream of coopers mill as were grey wagtails. Redstart males singing west and south east of farm as were tree pipits . Male pied fly west of farm visiting nest-box. Garden warbler south of farm. Cuckoo could be heard most of the afternoon but never close.

No, far from it, but I haven't seen anyone else reporting Spotted Flycatchers as having arrived yet and I'm still not confident on calling 'new' species ahead of the vastly more experienced folks who also post here. Were there any Spotted Flycatcher reports yesterday?

Looking at photos of both species online, I was viewing the bird from behind and so would have missed any steaking on the breast, so I'm going purely on the similarity in size and appearance from that angle. I did see at least one Garden Warbler singing from a similarly prominent position yesterday, but the fly-catching behaviour loooked more like what I've seen from Spotted Flycatchers in the past.

I saw Spotted Flycatcher on Saturday in the forest, so yes they have arrived.

Midday onwards and hot, brimstones on the wing at least a dozen seen. Wood warblers in the Dowles brook valley mostly on the Worcestershire side . A family of dippers at the next bridge upstream of coopers mill as were grey wagtails. Redstart males singing west and south east of farm as were tree pipits . Male pied fly west of farm visiting nest-box. Garden warbler south of farm. Cuckoo could be heard most of the afternoon but never close.

Nice to bump into you again in the Wyre yesterday and thanks for pointing me towards the Dipper. Now I know who Jim Wright who covers Grimley in the Patchwork Challenge is! :t:

Andy P

A pleasant trip around Dowles Brook Wyre Valley. At last saw 1 Dipper but no sign of young, presumably due to tree felling/fence erecting right next to the bridge. Pied Flycatcher (Male) seen as well as Wood Warblers & Garden Warblers. A Marsh Tit was seen (the first I`ve seen in the last few years). Unfortunately no Redstarts or Tree Pipits seen or heard. The `Pipit` field being closed due to "rare breeding species" A Cuckoo was also heard. but distant.

On the insect/butterfly side, my first Pearl Bordered Fritillary of the year as well as this stunning Green Tiger Beetle .

Attachments

• New_1_DSCF7290.JPG lghtd.JPG
    New_1_DSCF7290.JPG lghtd.JPG
    401.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Short afternoon stroll. Very quiet, with few birds singing making it a little hard finding birds amongst the leaf cover. A pair of Pied Fly's were eventually found, several Wood Warblers and a Garden Warbler amongst the more commoner fair.

An excellent afternoon on Monday in the Wyre Forest along the old railway track and Dowles Brook. At least 8 singing Wood Warbler plus a few silent individuals along with at least 5 singing Pied Flycatcher - the best totals I have encountered in the forest. Also calling Cuckoo, Dipper, Spotted Flycatcher, Tree Pipit, Garden Warbler, Willow Warbler and Marsh Tit together with the usual Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Coal Tit, Goldcrest, Jay, Green & GS Woodpecker etc

Another lovely long stroll along Dowles Brook and the railway line this morning.

Redstart (M) singing from the top of a tree just before the fourfinger post.
A single Tree Pipit, multiple Wood Warbler, Garden Warbler, Blackcap, Willow Warbler.

But nothing came even close to unexpectedly stumbling across two (yes two) Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers, one of which stuck around long enough to give me great views of it circling the trunks of several trees looking for food. Magic.

Spent the last hour or so looking for a Spotted Flycatcher to no avail. Perfect excuse for a further visit.

Didn't hear a Cuckoo.

Another great session on Monday afternoon along the old railway track and its offshoots resulted in 13 singing Wood Warbler (plus a few silent birds), 4 singing Pied Flycatcher, 3 singing Redstart, several Tree Pipit, Marsh Tit, a daytime calling Tawny Owl and Spotted Flycatcher (sorry Rob!) together with all the usual woodland species. Plenty of Pearl-boarded Fritillaries on the wing after Eric's bench.

Please note that the car park off Dry Mill Lane is closed this week for track maintenance.

Woodcock seen half a dozen times, probably the same bird between 9:30 and 11:00pm . A lot of toads seen crossing the tracks and 8 glow-worms in the grass verges.

Another pleasant stroll around Dowles Brook, got rather warm past mid-day, no wind. Bird wise very quiet, Of note a female Redstart at Lodge Farm and a couple of Grey Wags by the river. Saw more varieties of butterflies than birds! Including many Silver Washed Fritillaries on the wing (20+) and my first sighting of a Small Heath in the Wyre. This S.W. Frit was the only one that settled.

Richard

Attachments

• DSCF7552.jpg
    DSCF7552.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF7557.jpg
    DSCF7557.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Several hundred redpoll in the treetops along the old railway track, amazing to see so many. Also a woodcock burst out of the bracken and a marsh tit feeding and calling from a birch tree. Dipper and grey wagtail seen down in the brook. Several ravens calling as they passed overhead through the day and lots of jays screeching but mostly staying out of sight

Dipper and Kingfisher on the brook today, Housemartins, Swallows and at least 10 Swift. Great view of a Cuckoo flying in to the top of a tree and calling. Numerous Blackcap, Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler. 3 Wood Warbler heard but not seen. 2 Common Lizzards fighting and good numbers of Butterfly including pearl bordered Fratillary.

Nice early walk along the railway track and then back along the brook tree pipit , 5 garden warbler, pied fly, redstart, cuckoo calling , LSW calling , 3 wood warbler , 4 mandarin, kingfisher, heron the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back