• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

book recommendations: migration + song (1 Viewer)

chouette

Hi,

Would anyone be willing to recommend some books? I'm interested in bird migration and bird song and communication.

On migration I'm hoping for something not too demanding. Lots of maps and pictures would be nice.

On song and communication I'm prepared to put a bit more work in, so these recommendations can be as academic as you like. (But they don't have to be.)

Thanks

Thanks very much to each of you. These books are a little pricey for present purposes, but I'll keep a look out for them. Unfortunately my local library doesn't have them, but maybe a cheap copy of one of them will show up one day. Thanks again.

Flight Lines is a lovely book, though it suffers from a baffling absence of maps.
You might try

Time to Fly: Exploring Bird Migration - Jim Flegg
Bird Migration (Birdwatcher's Guide) - Dominic Couzens

These have far more illustrations and maps and both can be picked up cheaply in paperback on Amazon

Birdsong by Don Stap. I really enjoyed that book and also learnt a lot. (I also really liked his other book - “a parrot without a name”)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back