• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Camera Required (1 Viewer)

mike davidson

I have a swarovski scope AT S 65 WITH A 30 x S eye piece . I also HAD a coolpix 4500 , and the combination was pretty good , although the rear monitor screen was far too small. The CP gave up the ghost , and Nikkon want £200 to repair it .

So what to buy , that will improve the quality of my digital pix . I prefer not to have a mounting ring as it is easier to point the camera at the scope and click .

Any ideas on what to buy ?

I am sure this has been asked before

Mike Davidson in Nairobi

mike davidson said:
I have a swarovski scope AT S 65 WITH A 30 x S eye piece . I also HAD a coolpix 4500 , and the combination was pretty good , although the rear monitor screen was far too small. The CP gave up the ghost , and Nikkon want £200 to repair it .

So what to buy , that will improve the quality of my digital pix . I prefer not to have a mounting ring as it is easier to point the camera at the scope and click .

Mike Davidson in Nairobi
Hi Mark
At least a hundred times and from checking all the threads as i did when i was looking for the answer to you question,there is, as you will no doubt discover if this thread developes as others have, no definitive answer but the overall impression appears to come down to personal choice with pros and cons for all the latest x3/x4 zoom P&S. to be honest have tried a few and have crept back to my CP990.
Regards Rick

mike davidson said:

Mike Davidson in Nairobi

From what I understand the options are;

kyocera/contax sl300
leica dlux
canon a95
fuji f30

I still use the cp990. I don' think there is a definitive 'upgrade' otherwise we'd all have changed. Each has it's pros and cons as above.

mike davidson said:

Mike Davidson in Nairobi
We have an as new hardly ever used CP4500 for sale with a Swaro tube adapter but whether you could import it into Kenya, I don't know. There is no obvious alternative. The latest idea is to use a Fuji F30 with a swing-type adapter. I've bought this camera but am yet to use it for digiscoping. It's unique in having a low light ability. You'll miss the twist screen, though, for sure. The newer Nikons and Canons just don't seem to work so well, creating lots of vignetting.

Last edited:
The 4500 can still be found for sale.One just has to scroll through the dealers lists.But not sure re Nairobi.

many thanks . I will be in UK for Christmas , down in Dorset with my family , so may be interested in the cp 4500 . What price ?

Interestingly I am Lboro GS old boy , living in Loboro for 17 years before I came to Africa in 1967. I know Steve Lister well , meeting him here on a birding tour , and also touching base when I have been in Loboro to see relatives !

small world

Mike

scampo said:
We have an as new hardly ever used CP4500 for sale with a
Swaro tube adapter but whether you could import it into Kenya, I don't know. There is no obvious alternative. The latest idea is to use a Fuji F30 with a swing-type adapter. I've bought this camera but am yet to use it for digiscoping. It's unique in having a low light ability. You'll miss the twist screen, though, for sure. The newer Nikons and Canons just don't seem to work so well, creating lots of vignetting.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back