• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lakenheath (1 Viewer)

Stringer

For all UK birders twitching the golden oriole site at Lakenheath, look behind you! Away from the copse of trees containing the orioles, the farmland across the river produced short eared owl, barn owl and hobby yesterday. Just turn your scopes around! You wont get decent views of the Golden O's anyway! Only joking. Good luck with all the birds. It is probably just me who struggles here. Everyone else was claiming "cracking views". Golden Oriole is common as muck in Goa, my annual holiday trip. But prolonged views of short eared owl....now that is a different matter. Are they breeding in the area?
Cheers
B :)

I agree with you Stringer, most birders keep their eyes trained on the plantation and don't give a thought to the surrounding river/meadows. On my visit there last week, although several orioles were calling, they were not showing; but I did get excellent view of kingfisher and no less than 3 hobby.

IanDJB.

I cursed the Golden and African Orioles in Kenya. There were all over the place and rushed your bins to your face for nothing!!! Mind you, I'd go bonkers if I saw one in Blighty!!! :t:

Just been down to Lakenheath for the 2nd year running to view the Orioles and once again I,ve dipped.:-C Oh well I,ll have to try again next year(got to have some excuse for going down).

Geoff

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back