• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

digiscoping cameras (1 Viewer)

Janhon

digiscopying cameras

Hi I have been using the Nikon coolpix 990/995 (but cannot get them repaired any more) and then tried the Canon A95 but was wondering what the latest is on cameras for digiscopying. I am hoping there is something on the market that has a swivel screen and a faster shutter release time than the 990s and also maybe an electronic shutter release cable. Any suggestions would be really great

Thanks Janhon

Hi Janhon,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin. Glad to have you on board :t:

In the UK it is still possible to buy the Nikon CP 4500. You may want to post your question in the Digiscoping forum where more people will see it.

I still think that the Kyocera SL400r/Contax U4R/SL300R are hard to beat.

Small, swivel screen, fast shutter repeat - and pretty good results.

Rob Smallwood said:
I still think that the Kyocera SL400r/Contax U4R/SL300R are hard to beat.

Small, swivel screen, fast shutter repeat - and pretty good results.
Many thanks Rob I will have a look at it - the problem we have here is the camera places don't stock any cameras so you can't see what they are like.

Janhon

robinm said:
Hi Janhon,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin. Glad to have you on board :t:

In the UK it is still possible to buy the Nikon CP 4500. You may want to post your question in the Digiscoping forum where more people will see it.
Thanks Robin it was my first attempt and am still finding my way around so will post it in the Digiscoping forum when I find out how to - have a great day

Regards Janhon

Janhon said:
Hi I have been using the Nikon coolpix 990/995 (but cannot get them repaired any more) and then tried the Canon A95 but was wondering what the latest is on cameras for digiscopying. I am hoping there is something on the market that has a swivel screen and a faster shutter release time than the 990s and also maybe an electronic shutter release cable. Any suggestions would be really great

Thanks Janhon
The new Fuji F30 seems to be leading the pack at the present as it has good optics for getting rid of the vignette shadow and a unique light sensor that allows decent shots to be taken even in low light (usable up to 1600ASA and can be opushed to 3200ASA).

I have just bought it but am a real beginner at this hobby - it needs either to be hand held against the eyepiece (it has no thread as you're used to with the CP900) or be used with a swing-type adapter or a home made tube arrangement.

There's an excellent recent thread on digiscoping cameras - search for Fuji F30.

I am buying the missus a digi camera for Christmas. Can anyone suggest a model that has either a 27mm or 28mm filter thread and is suitable for digiscoping so I can use it as well. I have a budget of around £100/£125.

Cudyll Bach said:
I am buying the missus a digi camera for Christmas. Can anyone suggest a model that has either a 27mm or 28mm filter thread and is suitable for digiscoping so I can use it as well. I have a budget of around £100/£125.
I think you'll struggle with the thread - I couldn't find one. I ended up with the highly acclaimed Fuji F30 and I'd recommend it to you as it has a unique ability to shoot in low light without flash. It's above your budget, but seems to be thought of as ideal for digiscoping, giving at least a couple of extra stops when needed thus giving a far greater chance of sharp shots.

It's problem is the lack of filter thread. I'm looking into buying a "swing" type adapter as, at the moment, I use it hand held.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back