• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Kites as far south as Carmarthen South Wales (1 Viewer)

DuwDuw

Good afternoon to one and all,

Just returned from a little trip down to Carmarthen and I was surprised to see a Red Kit flying just above the M4 near Carmarthen. Whilst I often see these above the Mid Wales A470 near the feeding station and in the surrounding areas but never this far south.

Has anyone else noticed these travelling further south. Its great to see these spectacular birlds with their forked tail and grey heads getting more popular Wales.

Best Wishes

DuwDuw

Hi DuwDuw

They get much further south than that these days - they a quiet often seen in North Cardiff, and I have it on good authority that they have been seen in flying over the centre of Cardiff onve or twice! Looking forward to the time when they are a common bird over the city!

Rich

We get them all the time in the south east valleys.I see one or two on a daily basis above the abbatoir in Merthyr Tydfil.It was not that long ago that I had to drive for at least an hour and a half just to get a glimpse!

I saw a group of 4/5 over the Carmarthen Fans (The Black Mountain) on Saturday, great sight it was. My work colleague lives in Maesteg and says she has seen them regularly for the last year.

Last edited:
Its such a pleasure to not have to go to a kite feeding station to see these beutiful birds in the wild. I only hope that our birderwatchers in the South West of England get the chance to see them for themselves soon if they keep travelling southwards...

I have been working in Chepstow the house i m working in has great views over the seven and wye rivers ,I was totally stunned to see in the distance three RED KITES playing on the thermals just north of the seven bridge. has made it worth my trip from the south of england just to see that wow..JT

Good afternoon to one and all,

Just returned from a little trip down to Carmarthen and I was surprised to see a Red Kit flying just above the M4 near Carmarthen. Whilst I often see these above the Mid Wales A470 near the feeding station and in the surrounding areas but never this far south.

Has anyone else noticed these travelling further south. Its great to see these spectacular birlds with their forked tail and grey heads getting more popular Wales.

Best Wishes

DuwDuw

Hi Duw2
We live on the edge of Exmoor and spend quite a lot of time watching Red dear and looking for the elusive wild boar, and Red Kites are seen quite often up on the moor.
My first was in mid wales at a place called Camefawr 26/7/89 unmistakable aren't they just. :t:

Regards

Rex.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back