• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lakenheath or Conwy (1 Viewer)

obestevens

Hi

We have unexpectedly been given 3 days off work next week so with nothing planned and no chores to keep us at home a bird watching jaunt is just the ticket
The problem is we are at loggerheads as where to go I fancy Lakenheath but the boss :gh: favours Conwy

We are live in Stafford in the midlands so pretty much anywhere is acheivable

So where would you head for and what would you hope for

Don't know Conwy so i would go to Lakenheath.

Golden Oriole,Grasshopper Warbler,Spotted Fly,Kingfisher,Common Crane,Hobby.......birding heaven.

I don't know Lakenheath. conway can be good but I went last week and there was little exciting to see. Some baby Canada Geese that were nice to see. Just up the road from there is the Spinnies-that can be good (saw some Little Grebes last week which was a 1st for me as a newbie)

Lakenheath gets my vote, and can be combined easily with Weeting Heath for Stone Curlews and with Thetford Forest for Woodlarks. Conwy is lovely but for birding variety at the moment I do think Lakenheath wins.

Graham

If you decide on Lakenheath I'd elect to make an early start. It has been extremely busy there in recent weeks.

I had a walk around at 4.30am last week one morning before work and it was heaven. It is a fantastic reserve and the diversity of bird life is simply stunning. Unfortunately despite several early morning visits I've still yet to see an Oriole, but on returning to the carpark last week I realised that I was alone on my side of the reserve, while the other side was literally swarming with people, and this was at 6.30am in the morning. (The car park had been empty when I got there at 4.30am.) I think I know where to head to next time I visit.

Thanks all Lakenheath sounds like is a winner
We are now looking for decent Pub in the area We are considering stopping at the Travel Lodge at Barton Mills any comments ??

Thanks all Lakenheath sounds like is a winner
We are now looking for decent Pub in the area We are considering stopping at the Travel Lodge at Barton Mills any comments ??

That puts you about 7 or 8 miles from the reserve. Barton Mills is a nice enough village, though the Travel Lodge is situated directly on the A11 roundabout. I've never used the TL, but it was once listed as the busiest Little Chef in Britain, so chances are that it's a decent place. Just across the A11 about 50 yards away is a nice old English pub 'The Bull' where you can get a decent meal also.

I don't know if you've considered it, but not too far away, I'm guessing about the same distance as Lakenheath reserve is the oldest nature reserve in England, the National Trust's 'Wicken Fen'. Another cracking place where you'll see every species there is at Lakenheath bar the Orioles and probably one or two more as well. Plenty of Marsh Harrier activity, Bearded Tits, Grasshopper, Reed and Sedge Warblers and you'll hear Cettis, but you're one up on me if you see it! Water Rails and a huge diversity of wader and Duck species.

Even nearer, on the road to historical Bury St Edmunds, you'll find another beautiful reserve in the Suffolk Wildlife Trust's Lackford nature reserve. Plenty of hides, a coffee shop and easy access and parking.

If you'd like the heads up on another nearby place that isn't an official reserve, but where you'd be guaranteed at least three pairs of Marsh Harriers, Bearded Tits and a resident Bittern, send me a PM.

Hope that is useful.

Regards Chris

don't know if you've considered it, but not too far away, I'm guessing about the same distance as Lakenheath reserve is the oldest nature reserve in England, the National Trust's 'Wicken Fen'
Chris thanks for the info sounds like your proud of your county
I have pm,ed you
Obe

Another vote for Wicken Fen, where I had both Cetti's and Grasshopper Warbler show well three weeks back as well as 10 Hobby, 5 Marsh Harrier, several Yellow Wags, 4 Cuckoos etc. etc. (Cetti's required a ninety minute stakeout, though.) It is a superb reserve.

The problem is we are at loggerheads ...

Loggerheads is actually quite good birding, though perhaps not in the Lakenheath / Conwy league.....

Much as I love Conwy and the North Wales coast, I guess I'd go to Lakenheath at this time of the year. At least it gives you the option of several other reserves in East Anglia if Lakenheath doesn't work out, especially since apparently you need to be at Lakenheath early.

I don't know though...... Conwy gives you the option of the Great Orme and Anglesey. You won't find may Choughs at Lakenheath, and who dares say that Golden Orioles are nicer than Puffins?

Depends what type of birding you favour,

Colin

Hi,
Lakenheath will get the aforementioned cranes, orioles and nightjar in the evening along with stone curlew, wood lark and possibly LEO at Weeting Heath. A little further up the road is Lynford Arboretum where you'll tick hawfinch and firecrest. Also, coming from the Midlands could pass Holme or Titchwell en route as well. With a little luck could easily turn into an 85+ species day.
PM for any further details.
Cheers, Jono

Thanks all we had a great couple of days both Lakenheath and Wicken were great places
Cettis at Wicken and Golden Oriles and Cranes at Lakenheath the stars
A very nosey baby stoat at Wicken and a thousand evil bitting midges at Lakenheath
The area needs a lot more time than we had to spend

Obe

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back