• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Willow emerald damselfly suffolk (1 Viewer)

James Hunter

Just got this off RBA:

Western Willow Spreadwing ( Willow Emerald ) damselfly fem SE of Trimley trout lake on clifftop in oak at 10:40 am

Regards,

RS

Just got this off RBA:

Western Willow Spreadwing ( Willow Emerald ) damselfly fem SE of Trimley trout lake on clifftop in oak at 10:40 am

Regards,

RS

Interesting,

Who saw it and who ID'd it? Was a specimen taken for verification or were pictures taken?

I only ask, because each year there are odd specimens of many species reportedly seen, but these reports seldon have anything to back them up.

A record of this species would need some good evidence to back it up.

Harry

In these days of DNA there should be no need to take a specimen, just a clipping - but by and large a photo should suffice. Hopefully one will emerge. Certainly if it sticks I will be trying to get one over the weekend.

Also in these days of not only bird but butty, dragon and moth twitching, specimen hunters have about the same social status as egg collectors and gamekeepers.

John

There was an article in Atropos a while back about the discovery of exuviae of
Willow emerald damselfly at Cliffe pools in Kent - despite much searching no adults have been found.

RS

Beat me to it - I had just discovered the same fact on the BDS website - 1992 I believe. It also quoted a report from 1980.

It seems that apart from the Viking-like Small Red-eyed, running across Britain like wildfire, damselflies find it difficult to get more than a temporary toehold e.g. Southern Emeralds at Sandwich - whatever happened to them?

John

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back