• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Attracting Hummingbirds (1 Viewer)

There is a standard approach to attract these little Flying Jewels. Plant plenty of tubular flowers and put out Hummingbird feeders. Most Plant stores are carrying plants which will attract Hummers. The feeders are fun to buy and usually have instructions for making your own nectar included on the box. Anything red will raise the odds in your favor,but they like other color flowers too.

On the Web there are all kinds of great sites to find out anything you need to know about attraacting Hummers. Just type in Hummingbirds and hit go and you will find out for yourself. Good Luck!!!

emc,
the best hummingbird website I've come across is this one: http://www.hummingbirds.net/

As LuBird says, planting a hummingbird garden is a good way to attract them. If you don't have a garden, potted plants will do fine, too. I have my feeders and most of my plants on a second floor deck. Most of the salvias are very nectar rich, but the plant that is most popular in at my house is a Cuphea "David Verity" variety and also the common Mexican cigar, which has orange flower. Both belong to the same family and grow into shrubs.

HelenB, that is a great site,thanks! LannyChambers certainly has what Hummer Lovers need. I think he is the one that does a migration map that I always watch too:)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back