• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

photo technique -advice sought (1 Viewer)

earleybird

My bird feeders are about 25 feet+ from my kitchen and living room windows. The problem I have is trying to get decent shots on 10x zoom through glass .

I'm sure this is a common problem which many have solved but as a newcomer to wildlife photography I am struggling to think of a way to improve picture definition.

I have a Fuji Finepix S5600 which is a 5mp camera with 10x optical zoom 38-380 mm f3.2/f8 A very basic digi point and squirt camera but I cannot afford anything better at the moment.

I had thought of buying a 2x converter but I guess I'll just lose significant aperture, light and image quality?

I had thought about replacing one of the small panes of glass with an opening light but it would probably send them all scattering and we'd all freeze our butts off waiting for something to snap

Any suggestions very welcome

I started with the same camera and got some fairly good shots with the Olympus 1.7x tele-converter but haven't tried a 2x. With the 1.7 converter I used you didn't loose any light or aperture as it only screws onto the front of the lens and the image quality wasn't too bad as long as you can hold it steady.

Here's a couple of examples from the Finepix s5600 + Olympus 1.7 Tele-converter:t:.
Stonechat1.jpg

RedKite1-1.jpg

Greenfinch4.jpg

Sprawk4.jpg

Last edited:
wow that stonechat is fantastic. I guess its had a little judicious digital editing but its an excellent shot.

I'm really pleased with my S5600 I started with a S2800 progressed to a S5000 then the S5600 which is a lot quicker to boot . I've yet to have the courage to use anything other than Auto though . I've been blown away with the quality of some of the images but my problem at the moment is the window glass between the camera and subjects

Hi mate if money is tight and all, usually is for me:( Your best bet would be to make a type of screen from bamboo cane in a long planter of sorts and sit outside, Cheap and easily done.
But any type of home made screen getting you closer to birds will do for sure! Good luck and all the best.

karpman

My bird feeders are about 25 feet+ from my kitchen and living room windows. The problem I have is trying to get decent shots on 10x zoom through glass .

I'm sure this is a common problem which many have solved but as a newcomer to wildlife photography I am struggling to think of a way to improve picture definition.

I have a Fuji Finepix S5600 which is a 5mp camera with 10x optical zoom 38-380 mm f3.2/f8 A very basic digi point and squirt camera but I cannot afford anything better at the moment.

I had thought of buying a 2x converter but I guess I'll just lose significant aperture, light and image quality?

I had thought about replacing one of the small panes of glass with an opening light but it would probably send them all scattering and we'd all freeze our butts off waiting for something to snap

Any suggestions very welcome

The glass doesn't make a great deal of difference most of the time (check my gallery, all garden birds are taken through double glazed windows). Reflections can be a problem, but this can be fixed by getting as close to the glass as possible, and/or shooting at an angle through the glass. Also, keep the windows clean (inside and out), I use a 1 in 4 mix of White Vinegar and water.

So, to summarise:

• Clean your windows every day, or more frequently if needed.
  • Try shooting at an angle to the glass, and get the lens as close to the glass as possible.
  • Try different windows for different areas, the same shot through a different window/angle can turn out completely differently.
  • Practice taking pictures at different times of the day, then you'll get an idea of when the light is best at different areas of the garden. I don't mean brighter, sometimes too harsh light with shadows can be as bad as low light.
  • Try and eliminate any light source, reflection from inside the house. (shut the doors so stray light doesn't get in from other rooms)

That's all I can think of, if all else fails (which it shouldn't), get a hide.

wow that stonechat is fantastic. I guess its had a little judicious digital editing but its an excellent shot.

I've yet to have the courage to use anything other than Auto though . I've been blown away with the quality of some of the images but my problem at the moment is the window glass between the camera and subjects

Thanks earlybird, the Stonechat has been cropped (as most of my shots are) and sharpened a little.

99% of my shots were taken using Aperture Priority setting and the results were much better than Auto setting.

The Greenfinch and Sparrowhawk were both taken through double glazed windows, but I would say get as close to the glass as you can to try and avoid reflections or if possible sit with the window open and wait for the birds to arrive:t:.

wow there is some excellent suggestions here thank you everyone. Sorry for the late response my notifications don't seem to be working . i'll check the settings.

Definitely too cold and wet at the moment for a hide but I think it would be hard to introduce one to the garden but I might try when its warmer and drier

I try to get close to the glass but the birds invariably see me straightaway no matter how slowly I creep forward.
I've cleaned the glass spotless so I'll check todays shots and see if there is any improvement in definition.

One of our squirrels has decided to start nest building already :eek!:
They were hauling large twigs into the lean-to shed roof today. if it means they will leave my loft for a few weeks I'm all for it frankly as they currently spend the night playing ten pin bowling if the noise in my loft is anything to go by .:C

Attachments

• squirly 1.jpg
    squirly 1.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Here's an off the wall suggestion, I tried this years ago with a powershot S50:
I set up my camera on a tripod. close to the feeders & set the camera to take shot every 30 seconds, then returned indoors.
You never know your luck, you might get a better shot than I did :-O.
Kept me occupied for a while, but I suggest covering your camera with a sarnie bag so the blighters don't crap on it.

EEH the good ol days 8-P:-O:-O

Hey Andy I never saw your excellent suggestion sorry. Its not as daft as it sounds actually. I have thought of this and purchased a compact Fuji J150w for the job.
My intention is to open the camera and connect some wires to the camera switch. I should be able to use a simple wireless control unit from the house to take pictures remotely.

Then I'll need to disguise the camera as a fat ball lol :t:

thanks for your idea cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back