• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

camera delay frustrating (1 Viewer)

earleybird

Does anyone have a digital camera that takes 7-8 seconds to turn on and zoom to max ready to take a picture ? by the time I get my camera ready and compose to take a picture most of the tits and finches have darted in taken a sunflower seed and legged it :C

I've tried waiting at the window with the camera switched on and at full zoom but my patience or the batteries give up long before a suitable subject turns up.

Just wondering what everyone else does when trying to get pictures of birds feeding in the garden.?

Does anyone have a digital camera that takes 7-8 seconds to turn on and zoom to max ready to take a picture ? by the time I get my camera ready and compose to take a picture most of the tits and finches have darted in taken a sunflower seed and legged it :C

I've tried waiting at the window with the camera switched on and at full zoom but my patience or the batteries give up long before a suitable subject turns up.

Just wondering what everyone else does when trying to get pictures of birds feeding in the garden.?
That one of the reasons why most of us go for a DSLR I am afraid.

Earlybird, If you are still using the Fuji S5600 there is an option to have the lens resume at a previous zoom setting as soon as you turn the camera on. Also when I used mine I changed the auto shut-off to five minutes and if I never took a shot while waiting, I just pressed the shutter button half way just to stop the camera turning off while waiting for something to show.
Also use the LCD screen as little as possible and the batteries last a bit longer;).

Hope this helps:t:.

Not necessarily a DSLR. If the poster is taking casual pics in his garden with it sounds like a fairly basic point and shoot, there are plenty of options to give a dramatic improvement from 7-8 secs delay without having to fork out DSLR money.

I think my Pana fz18 uses less than 2 sec from on until ready to shoot (fully zoomed in)

Niels

Earlybird, If you are still using the Fuji S5600 there is an option to have the lens resume at a previous zoom setting as soon as you turn the camera on. Also when I used mine I changed the auto shut-off to five minutes and if I never took a shot while waiting, I just pressed the shutter button half way just to stop the camera turning off while waiting for something to show.
Also use the LCD screen as little as possible and the batteries last a bit longer;).

Hope this helps:t:.

thanks shaggy that default previous zoom setting sounds useful.
its time to get the manual out again and have a bit of a readup. I'm really not being serious with this frankly. I'm running to grab the camera when i see something of interest in the garden and I'm never really prepared with any plan of action.

Its unfortunate that the feeding area is about 25 feet from the house . Maybe I should start expanding the feed area gradually towards the house and think about how I lay things out so that it is easier to get some good shots.

The only half decent pictures I seem to get is of the squirrels :C

Maybe I should start expanding the feed area gradually towards the house and think about how I lay things out so that it is easier to get some good shots.

Not sure you need to do it gradually. Our extension has just been built and I put some new feeders up, just 3m away from the window. The first bird (Great Tit) arrived 3 minutes later and within the hour there had been 6 species visit.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back