Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Have you ever been torn between a twitch or sporting events?

Old Monday 21st October 2019, 18:18   #26
wolfbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Had no idea LGRE was a West Brom fan..........
I would be very surprised if LGRE is a West Brom fan. Don't get the impression he likes footy, but I may be wrong. I bet Luton is Lee Evans team (:-

Steve Nuttall (one of top 10) definitely is an Albion fan, he also was a very good player and played for Albion as a youth player, so he's bloody good at a few things.
Favourite birds:- Pallid Harrier, Hen Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Snowy Owl, Wryneck, Blue-Cheeked Bee-eater, Sib Rubythroat, Firecrest, Redstart, Hawfinch, Bearded Tit, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Pom Skua, Warblers especially colourful American ones.

Last edited by wolfbirder : Monday 21st October 2019 at 18:21.
Old Monday 21st October 2019, 18:36   #27
Stuart Ling

I think you'll find that the Baggies fan in question is Steve Whitehouse.
Old Monday 21st October 2019, 18:45   #28
wolfbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Ling View Post
Ah ok, Steve Nuttall is top ten on BUBO these days, and has been for some years, but actually not sure if he was back to 1993.
He is currently 5th on 542. Don't know Steve Whitehouse, he doesn't use BUBO (not that everyone does of course).

So 2 Albion fans in top ten, flippin eck, do I not like that
Favourite birds:- Pallid Harrier, Hen Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Snowy Owl, Wryneck, Blue-Cheeked Bee-eater, Sib Rubythroat, Firecrest, Redstart, Hawfinch, Bearded Tit, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Pom Skua, Warblers especially colourful American ones.

Last edited by wolfbirder : Tuesday 22nd October 2019 at 06:49.
Old Monday 21st October 2019, 19:47   #29
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbirder View Post
Ah ok, Steve Nuttall is top ten on BUBO these days, and has been for some years, but actually not sure if he was back to 1993.
H e is currently 5th on 542. Don't know Steve Whitehouse, he doesn't use BUBO.

So 2 Albion fans in top ten, flippin eck, do I not like that
In the pre-computer days, before you could download a report on almost anywhere, instantly, SW would sell other peoples trip reports as part of his living, I think he was also involved in the regional 'Birdline' in the early days?
Old Monday 21st October 2019, 19:49   #30
andyadcock

Quote:
I would be very surprised if LGRE is a West Brom fan. Don't get the impression he likes footy, but I may be wrong. I bet Luton is Lee Evans team (:-

Steve Nuttall (one of top 10) definitely is an Albion fan, he also was a very good player and played for Albion as a youth player, so he's bloody good at a few things.
You clearly haven't been twitching long enough if you don't know the story of LGRE and the Pacific Swift at Cley.
Old Monday 21st October 2019, 19:58   #31
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Ling View Post
Indeed.

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Monday 21st October 2019, 20:02   #32
Larry Sweetland
Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'

Quote:
. Don't know Steve Whitehouse, he doesn't use BUBO.
I think once upon a time he was the youngest person to get to 400 in the UK
Old Monday 21st October 2019, 20:06   #33
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Don't know Steve Whitehouse, he doesn't use BUBO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Sweetland View Post
I think once upon a time he was the youngest person to get to 400 in the UK
It wouldn't surprise me. Steve W was original Top Ten. I was using it in its historical context though cannot immediately lay my hands on the Birding World analysis. Tennessee Warbler & Bimaculated Lark reminiscences here:-

https://www.birdguides.com/articles/...-on-fair-isle/

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Monday 21st October 2019, 20:38   #34
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chapman View Post
It wouldn't surprise me. Steve W was original Top Ten. I was using it in its historical context though cannot immediately lay my hands on the Birding World analysis. Tennessee Warbler & Bimaculated Lark reminiscences here:-

https://www.birdguides.com/articles/...-on-fair-isle/

All the best
How's the rebuild of the obs going on Fair Isle?
Old Tuesday 22nd October 2019, 06:32   #35
wolfbirder

Apologies to Steve Whitehouse, I only started birding 1998, but wish I had done so in the previous decades as that seems to be the period most fondly reflected upon by many birders, for a variety of reasons. Steve Whitehouse is clearly a very highly-respected birder. No disrespect to him ever intended. Ignorance on my behalf, if you can call it that. I'm afraid my birding knowledge tends to only extend to this forum. I expect I have inadvertently bumped into him during my birding expeditions over the years.

Andy, you saying LGRE missed the Pacific Swift to go and see Albion in the play-off Final then? Or what is the story?

Last edited by wolfbirder : Tuesday 22nd October 2019 at 06:56.
Old Tuesday 22nd October 2019, 09:56   #36
andyadcock

Quote:
Apologies to Steve Whitehouse, I only started birding 1998, but wish I had done so in the previous decades as that seems to be the period most fondly reflected upon by many birders, for a variety of reasons. Steve Whitehouse is clearly a very highly-respected birder. No disrespect to him ever intended. Ignorance on my behalf, if you can call it that. I'm afraid my birding knowledge tends to only extend to this forum. I expect I have inadvertently bumped into him during my birding expeditions over the years.

Andy, you saying LGRE missed the Pacific Swift to go and see Albion in the play-off Final then? Or what is the story?
It was an attempted joke on my part, LGRE is widely thought to have not seen this bird despite his continuing insistence that he did.

Last edited by andyadcock : Tuesday 22nd October 2019 at 10:03.
Old Tuesday 22nd October 2019, 10:09   #37
wolfbirder

Quote:
It was an attempted joke on my part, LGRE is widely thought to have not seen this bird despite his continuing insistence that he did.
Ah ok Andy, went over my head mate (:-
Old Monday 28th October 2019, 13:52   #38
Paul Longland

A great question. It depends on where priorities lie of course, but I also have several hobbies and interests, and also quite like remaining married with my genitals intact so like everyone else have to balance birding with other interests and commitments. Generally, if I have previously agreed to do something, family or otherwise, I will usually stick to my word and honour those commitments, although it can sometimes be hard to swallow.
TBF my other half is generally pretty understanding and will give me a free pass if something exceptional turns up within easy distance as long as it does not affect promises made to others. That is not to say that I have not occasionally been in a spot of marital disharmony when announcing at what others may see as an inappropriate time that I was setting off with bins and scope and would be back "some time later".
When a decent bird turns up however, it is not a foregone conclusion that I will automatically dash off regardless. I have turned down several twitching opportunities when I have had other commitments.
Like many I derive pleasure from all of my hobbies and interests (I wouldn't do them otherwise) and like to think that I have the balance about right. Sometimes you just have to make a decision and hope it turns out the best. If I had tickets for LCFC in the cup final, I in all honesty, cannot think of anything that would stop me going but I would generally happily miss other games for a decent year tick.
Old Monday 28th October 2019, 14:23   #39
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Longland View Post
A great question. It depends on where priorities lie of course, but I also have several hobbies and interests, and also quite like remaining married with my genitals intact so like everyone else have to balance birding with other interests and commitments. Generally, if I have previously agreed to do something, family or otherwise, I will usually stick to my word and honour those commitments, although it can sometimes be hard to swallow.
TBF my other half is generally pretty understanding and will give me a free pass if something exceptional turns up within easy distance as long as it does not affect promises made to others. That is not to say that I have not occasionally been in a spot of marital disharmony when announcing at what others may see as an inappropriate time that I was setting off with bins and scope and would be back "some time later".
When a decent bird turns up however, it is not a foregone conclusion that I will automatically dash off regardless. I have turned down several twitching opportunities when I have had other commitments.
Like many I derive pleasure from all of my hobbies and interests (I wouldn't do them otherwise) and like to think that I have the balance about right. Sometimes you just have to make a decision and hope it turns out the best. If I had tickets for LCFC in the cup final, I in all honesty, cannot think of anything that would stop me going but I would generally happily miss other games for a decent year tick.
Mine seem to have become surplus to requirements since I got married.....
Old Monday 28th October 2019, 14:36   #40
RecoveringScot

Quote:
I don't.
Why? Personal taste innit. I remember I worked with a guy once who, when I told him I had zero interest in (professional) sport, which is basically kid's games taken seriously ('Triple jump'? We called it 'Hop, Skip and Jump' when I was 9), said 'I have reservations about people who don't like sport' which I thought must have been rather unfortunate for him, since it was of no interest to me.

Last edited by RecoveringScot : Monday 28th October 2019 at 14:39.
Old Monday 28th October 2019, 15:34   #41
David Ferguson

I saw my first Snow Buntings while watching a rugby match. Two landed on the pitch right in front of me while the game was in progress. My mate (a non-birder) thought I was having a fit.
Old Wednesday 30th October 2019, 19:18   #42
Britseye

Hey Wolfbirder. Just catching up on threads I've missed while without WiFi on St Agnes. Got to say this is the one I've enjoyed most. The ones that make you feel you're just having a chat in the pub...

Can't think of any examples off the top of my head re OP, but did I tell you about the time I went to see Siouxsie and the Banshees rather than a prospective Nighthawk...

Ah, whole other thread...
Old Thursday 31st October 2019, 09:56   #43
Euan Buchan
The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
BF Supporter 2019

I've been lucky enough to do both Birding and go to the sporting event which is mainly rugby in the evening. Infact on Saturday I'll be doing a similar thing go Birding and watch a rugby match in a pub after.

www.theedinburghbirdwatcher.com

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 2nd November 2019, 16:58   #44
Leviticus Plews

As I age, the number of sports I follow decreases (when young, there was no sport I would not follow.) It's now down to baseball and football. Baseball definitely take precedence over birding. Football, no. But then, I'm in DC. On one hand, we just won the World Series, on the other hand, we have the Redskins.
Old Saturday 2nd November 2019, 18:11   #45
Stephen Dunstan

Quote:
How's the rebuild of the obs going on Fair Isle?
They have selected a design and are hoping to be open the year after next.
Old Saturday 2nd November 2019, 18:13   #46
Stephen Dunstan

To answer the original question I remember deciding to watch the UEFA Cup final between Liverpool and Alves rather than go for a local Tawny Pipit at Heysham. I had to check the year and it was 2001. I haven't seen a Tawny Pipit in the UK before or since.

[Edit - no regrets, it was an epic match]
Old Saturday 2nd November 2019, 20:35   #47
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

I did some local patch birding this morning, nice morning out counting Redshank and Lapwing, and the first pair of Shelduck back after their late summer moult trip away

Do I gather there was a rugby match on or something? No idea what the result was.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: