• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (1 Viewer)

Certainly doesn't sound right? Mine doesnt do that. Have you tried reducing the zoom with the adjuster on the top, as it could be sticking?

The same thing happens no matter where I hold the focusing adjuster as I turn on the camera, and when I don't touch the adjuster.

I would take it back then, or if you have a Canon repairers near you take it there. Not good eh? |8.|

I'm not sure. It only happens when I set the camera on C1. If I set it on anything else, the lens just extends to 24 at the start. So I wonder if I somehow arranged for it to start on maximum zoom when I set up the C1 parameters.

Jeff

May I ask what is probably a dumb question? How do you get the lens to automatically zoom to its full extent when you turn on the camera? I don't seem to be able to find the answer to this in the instruction book.
Tom Lawson.

I'm not sure. It only happens when I set the camera on C1. If I set it on anything else, the lens just extends to 24 at the start. So I wonder if I somehow arranged for it to start on maximum zoom when I set up the C1 parameters.

Jeff

Jeff

Yes.. it sounds like that's precisely what you or somebody has done. What mode is the C1 in? It should tell you directly under the C1 icon in the top right hand corner. TV? Simply go back to TV.. re-enter your prefered settings and zoom.. then save to C1 :t:

May I ask what is probably a dumb question? How do you get the lens to automatically zoom to its full extent when you turn on the camera? I don't seem to be able to find the answer to this in the instruction book.
Tom Lawson.

Set preferred settings and zoom to full length and then save to either C1 or C2. Starting the camera then in C1 will then automatically extend to full zoom.

I had the zoom fully extended when I saved the settings one day and it took me a couple of days of use to work out what I had done - useful to know that you can set it to open to maximum though!

Just a word of warning, if it is set to full zoom and you accidently push the power button whilst it is inside a bag, who knows what damage could be done.

Regards

John

Hi Rapala

One thing to consider is the difference the atmosphere can make when shooting at distance, particularly when it's sunny and convection currents in the atmosphere tend to make things a bit fuzzy. In one post crazyfingers shows the same view taken on the same settings on different days. One is very much crisper than the other,

So on one hand I am delighted with a lot of the images I'm getting at full zoom when I'm taking pics of insects or lizards from as close as I can focus down to. There are lots of examples of those taken by a lot of people on this thread.

On the other hand, though, there is no substitute for shooting in good light at close distance. I have on my computer a few of my my pictures of peregrines sitting on a cliff, one measured at approx 330 yards, the other approx 370 yards, using Google Earth.

The quality is not good - bloody awful in fact, but the remarkable thing at that range is that I have something recognizably a peregrine.

Mid range you can get things pretty clear, and here a camera like this wins out IMV, because it is light enough to take with you on any walk, and you can get good pictures, without a hide, of birds that don't tolerate close approaches going about their daily business - feeding, collecting nesting material, singing and otherwise displaying - as far as I can tell completely unconcerned by the human presence, as it is distant enough not to spook them.

For all that, though, you will have more detail from a picture of a bird taken from 5 yards at the appropriate zoom to fill the frame than one taken at 50 yards at full zoom and blown up to the same size. And you will get more from full zoom at 8 ft than full zoom at 80 feet.

David

An example of what you are saying about pictures taken with max zoom, but still being identifiable is shown below. These were taken from my Hotel bedroom window in France earlier this year. The Hare was in the far field in the wide shot, the second moving picture shows the distortion because of the zoom and the distance away which was an estimated 100 yards +

Attachments

• Hotel.jpg
    Hotel.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 285
  • France Hare.jpg
    France Hare.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 311
  • France Hare (1).jpg
    France Hare (1).jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Glasses vs the EVF

Does anyone who wears varifocal spectacles have trouble using the EVF on their SX50?

Just got my SX50 today and I find I can't use the EVF with my varifocals - but OK using the LCD screen on the back. Perhaps it's not that much of a loss as the EVF isn't great anyway.

I just got a SX50 have not had time to try it since the purchase yesterday afternoon but have already discovered that I have to remove my Varifocals to use the EVF. If I remove my glasses it is clear but of course this is combersome because I can no longer see the bird or anything else unless I am looking through the VF and what to do with the glasses, only have two hands ;)

I just got a SX50 have not had time to try it since the purchase yesterday afternoon but have already discovered that I have to remove my Varifocals to use the EVF. If I remove my glasses it is clear but of course this is combersome because I can no longer see the bird or anything else unless I am looking through the VF and what to do with the glasses, only have two hands ;)

Did you know you can adjust the dioptre of the viewfinder using the little wheel just next to it (though I find it difficult on mine)? I can sympathise with this - I don't wear varifocals, but I do need reading glasses, so it's always a bit of a pain putting glasses on and taking them off while trying to take photos and see the subject at the same time.

Mike

Probably the last 2 dragonflies for this season.
Taken at full zoom at approx 5 feet.
On a very windy day.

Attachments

• red darter male.jpg
    red darter male.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 250
  • red darter female.jpg
    red darter female.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 228
Bad weather has prevented me from really trying out my new SX50. However, I did use it yesterday to get a shot of a (one-legged) N Cardinal on our shed roof. I took the photo through our very dirty living-room window while I was sitting on our couch and watching TV. I was surprised that the photo wasn't too bad.

Now if I can just find a way to get Pelicans, Roseate Spoonbills and Magnificent Frigatebirds to perch on our shed ...

Jeff

Attachments

• cardie.jpg
    cardie.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 263
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back