• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fluid head for videoscoping...which model (1 Viewer)

buzzard12

Here's the specific set up...

Swaro ATX 95
Swarovski ATS Adaptor
panasonic GH4 on order, currently using a Nikon DSLR body.

Current tripod is a Manfrotto 055 with 128RC head, which is simply not up to the job, especially for video...

Need a fluid head, with a balance rail. But which model?

Have heard Swaro balance rail may not work perfectly and have read of problems with heavy set ups.

Manfrotto 502hd has built in rail, could this be a solution, will the head go on the 055 Manfrotto carbon legs?

Recommendations and thoughts most welcome..

I use a Manfrotto 055MF3 tripod with a Manfrotto 501HDV head for digiscoping. My scope is a Swarovski ATS80HD with which I use various cameras including Canon 7D, 350D and Nikon V1. To achieve balance I do use a Manfrotto Long Sliding Plate on top of the head. There is a slight back-heavy droop with all three cameras but the head will lock off enough to retain balance.

Mike

I use a Manfrotto 055MF3 tripod with a Manfrotto 501HDV head for digiscoping. My scope is a Swarovski ATS80HD with which I use various cameras including Canon 7D, 350D and Nikon V1. To achieve balance I do use a Manfrotto Long Sliding Plate on top of the head. There is a slight back-heavy droop with all three cameras but the head will lock off enough to retain balance.

Mike

Thanks for the input Mike, much appreciated...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back