• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canada (Summer 2016): Rocky Mountains and Vancouver Island (1 Viewer)

arodris

Hi,

Last August 2016 I did a vacational trip to the canadian Rocky Mountains (Banff and Jasper National Parks) and to Vancouver Island. I include below links to the four parts of my trip:

1. Banff National Park: http://arodris.blogspot.com.es/search/label/Banff
2. Jasper National Park: http://arodris.blogspot.com.es/search/label/Jasper
3. Vancouver: http://arodris.blogspot.com.es/search/label/Vancouver
4. Vancouver Island: http://arodris.blogspot.com.es/2016/11/agosto-2016-canada-iv-vancouver-island.html

Our first stop, after arrival to Calgary, was the Banff National Park. Banff was the first canadian national park and the world's third. Spanning 6,641 square kilometres (2,564 square miles) of valleys, mountains, glaciers, forests, meadows and rivers, Banff National Park is one of the world's premier destination spots. We stayed in this park between August 11th and 14th. Most of our visits were centered around the city of Banff. In the area of Lake Louise we only did the Plain of the six Glaciers Trail.

Our next stop was Jasper National Park, also located in the province of Alberta, and where we were between 14 and 18 August. Jasper National Park, established in 1907, is the largest national park in the Canadian Rockies, with 10,878 square kilometres of mountain wildderness. Jasper contains a superb backcountry trail system as well as the world famous Columbia Icefields, one of the only Icefields in the world accessible by road. It is internationally-renowned for hiking in the park, skiing at Marmot Basin and wildlife viewing, and is home to some of North America's rarest animals, including healthy populations of grizzly bears, moose, caribou and wolves.

The third step in our trip was in Vancouver, before moving on to the island of the same name. Despite being a fairly large city, it has extensive parks, especially Stanley Park, where is possible to make good observations. In addition to Stanley Park, I visited Klahanie Park and the nearby Capilano River, in North Vancouver, where I completed a short, but interesting list of species, with observations like Anna's hummingbirds or a pileated woodpecker.

After spending a couple of days in Vancouver, we boarded the ferry that would take us to Nanaimo. This was the beginning of our last step in our trip: Vancouver Island. We were on this large island between 22th and 29th August, where we basically visited two areas, the Pacific Rim National Park, in the west, and Telegraph Cove, in the east. On the way we saw some porpoises, and on the island we visited the interesting Cathedral Grove, with huge trees. This island is especially interesting for marine birds.

You can see pictures, maps and the complete list of species in the links above. Here I just show you some of these pictures.

Attachments

• Actitis-macularia_007.jpg
    Actitis-macularia_007.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Uria-aalge_004.jpg
    Uria-aalge_004.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Haliaeetus-leucocephalus_006.jpg
    Haliaeetus-leucocephalus_006.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Gavia-immer_001.jpg
    Gavia-immer_001.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Passerella_unalaschcensis_001.jpg
    Passerella_unalaschcensis_001.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 28
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back