• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (58 Viewers)

Highlights from my visit today include-

44 species, 2 Common Tern, 5 Sand Martin, 1 House Martin and Glossy Ibis by Sand Martin box.

Also an Orange Tip was by the Henbrook Hide.

Chris

Last edited:
Swift and Yellow Wagtail over the Moors Pool as per Gert, both new for the year.

Glossy Ibis showing very well in Amy's Marsh as per Dave J.

Marvellous morning with 71 species recorded. As I’m having a Twitter holiday it’s nice to be posting on here again. I promised Andy not to post this pic celebrating the first Swift at the Swan on social media https://flic.kr/p/GLa6qV
This forum doesn’t count - right ?!

Nice to have a chat with Prowl Toppler today. 2 Swifts over the Moors ca1130 were nice - the place looks good a credit to all the volunteer work over the last few seasons👍

How many pairs of Avocets are deemed to be present?

Laurie -

just a few pics from this evening. saw something I've never seen before, a few BHG's was fighting over a dead fish in the sailing pool all of a sudden a Crow swooped down into the water and stole the fish then flew back to land with its prize.
1 nest site??
2 nest building???
3 please tell these ducks that farmer has a gun.
4 Glossy Ibis turned up 18.45ish
5 Heron and Allies.

Attachments

• IMG_6487.JPG
    IMG_6487.JPG
    832.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6490.JPG
    IMG_6490.JPG
    453.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6492.JPG
    IMG_6492.JPG
    428.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6499.JPG
    IMG_6499.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6502 (2).JPG
    IMG_6502 (2).JPG
    273.2 KB · Views: 57
I was very pleased to be able to add yesterday's Wood Warbler to my list of species seen at Upton Warren. Well done Paul Croft for finding the bird.

Wood Warbler has been a rare species at Upton Warren in recent years, with only 2 previous records this century - in 2000 & 2009. Both of these birds were found on 14th April, which is the earliest return date for this species. The latter record relates to a bird which was singing on the southern side of the Sailing Pool, and was found by our own resident "statto" Phil Andrews.

Phil has promised to post some further information with regard to previous sightings of Wood Warbler at Upton Warren, which I'm sure will be of great interest to regular readers of this forum. Over to you Phil!:t:

Marvellous morning with 71 species recorded. As I’m having a Twitter holiday it’s nice to be posting on here again. I promised Andy not to post this pic celebrating the first Swift at the Swan on social media https://flic.kr/p/GLa6qV
This forum doesn’t count - right ?!

A splendid morning's birding in great company, which brought me my first Whitethroat of the year, 2 Red Kite, a first (seen) Reed Warbler, the 2 Lapwing chicks and stonking views of the Glossy Ibis in Amy's Marsh. All appropriately celebrated with a pint of Purity Ales "Mad Goose". Cheers Gert!B :)B :)

Andy P

Wood Warbler

Wood Warbler Phylloscopus sibilatrix

Wood Warbler is an uncommon breeder in Britain’s deciduous woodlands of the north and west, wintering in tropical Africa. It breeds in limited numbers in Worcestershire, being on the edge of its distribution, with a small population in the Wyre Forest and occasional birds in the woods around the Malvern Hill and its surrounding areas. The species has been recorded as a scarce visitor during spring passage at Upton Warren, with possibly as many as 22 records:-

27th June 1965 (Bill Oddie)
Spring 1971 - undated
Spring 1972 - undated
5th May 1979
29th April 1984
27th April 1985 - male - Moors Pool
14th August 1986
20th August 1986
26th June 1988
22nd August 1988 - juvenile
31st August 1988
21st May 1991 - male - Broadmeadow, Moors Pool (Richard Harbird)
29th April 1995 - male - Education Reserve (Roger Hill & Rob Wardle)
12th September 1995 - Moors Pool (Nick Moore)
24th to 26th April 1996 - male - Moors Pool
27th to 28th April 1996 - male - Education Reserve
5th to 7th May 1996 - male - Education Reserve (John Belsey & Mike Wakeman)
12th May 1996 - male - Education Reserve
22nd to 23rd April 2000 - male - River Salwarpe
27th April 2000 - male - River Salwarpe (Dave Walker)
14th April 2009 - male - Sailing Pool (Phil Andrews)
21st April 2018 - male - North Moors (Paul Croft)

There may be some duplication of records, particularly with the series of singing male Wood Warblers recorded in 1996 around the Moors Pool and the Education Reserve. However the two birds were definitely present in late April 2000 by the River Salwarpe along the public footpath opposite the Swan Inn were confirmed by Dave Walker as different individuals, being differently marked. The dates, which are concentrated around the last week in April, suggest that most of these records relate to birds newly into the area on migration.

Unfortunately the series of records in 1996 and 2000 did not translate into this species being a regular summer migrant to the reserve - the overall decline of the species and lack of access to the most likely habitat in the Education Reserve both being factors. With virtually all the records relating to singing males with their attractive shivering trill; one can only speculate how many silent females may have slipped through the reserve undetected. Observers should carefully consider identification when encountering bright yellow phylloscopus warblers in the late summer and early autumn given the occasional presence of juvenile Willow Warblers on the reserve and a number of seasoned observers suggest that several of the five late summer / autumn records may actually refer to misidentified Willow Warblers with reports of inland Wood Warbler scarce on return passage.

Emergency Work Flashes

Tomorrow Tuesday 24th APRIL.
We will be attempting to find the hole in the FOX FENCING. From my observations it will be somewhere in the section between the Sewage works and Blackthorn thicket.
We will be approaching from the Sewage Works so this will limit the disturbance although there will be some. However if we allow the FOX to re-enter the breeding birds will be wiped out. So this short term disturbance will be worth it. The plan is to be on site from 9.30 hopefully it will be sorted within 30 minutes.
Now that we have lapwing chicks in the Meadow it is imperative that the situation is resolved urgently.
JohnB :)

Last edited:
FEEDING STATIONS : Announcement

As of this FEBRUARY we no longer have FREE FOOD.
This Facility began in 1984 at the FLASHES and was supported by donations and all proceeds from my 1984 Annual Report feeding was only during the winter period. Over the years feeding has become all year round and expanded to three areas. The Flashes feeding stopped about 3 years ago , mostly because of logistical reasons.
The ever presence of sparrowhawk was also affecting the waders.
For at least 25 years we have had the food given to us by a local Pet Food Supplier. Unfortunately that company has now changed hands and that sponsorship has now CEASED!!:-C
Although we are not sure how much it costs to maintain this Facility we estimate that it runs into hundreds of
£££'s. But rather than stop it we will try and cover the cost from the permit money that we receive from the Sailing Centre Cafe. This will obviously impact on the reserve, as all the money is spent on management which includes:- tools, petrol, strimmer servicing and repairs, tree and scrub saplings, all the new hide modifications were funded by permit money. We never go to the Trust for money so we are almost self sustaining.

So therefore we will continue funding the feeding stations and hopefully we will have enough left to maintain the reserve in its current state.

Fortunately we have generous people who visit the reserve and on Saturday I received a kind donation from a regular birder...he wishes to remain anonymous but asked me to make this plea:t:
I therefore would like to ask if anyone wants to make a contribution to the feeding fund then Paul M will gladly appreciate it ..
:t:john

Nice to have a chat with Prowl Toppler today. 2 Swifts over the Moors ca1130 were nice - the place looks good a credit to all the volunteer work over the last few seasons👍

How many pairs of Avocets are deemed to be present?

Laurie -

Cheers Phil:t: i counted 33 so there must be some sitting birds.

One from yesterday, recurved and decurved - all part of life's ups n downs;)

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_1790 Apr. 23 06.53.jpg
    ScreenHunter_1790 Apr. 23 06.53.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 71

Users who are viewing this thread

Back