• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Watercolor (1 Viewer)

tim.birdboy

Here is my first watercolor. It took me about 4 1/2 hours, total. The colors are fairly inaccurate, due to the scanner, so the head is darker-colored in real life. It is also a bit blurry, because I quickly resized it on an online program. :) I may be able to post a larger one later.

I'm open for any comments and/or suggestions, especially on future pieces (I'm too afraid to change anything on this one;) ).

Tim

Attachments

• ELTR 3.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 1,471
Last edited:
Thats a really nice picture - hope you post some more and speed up :t:
Went on your blog but didn't have much time.The common yellow throat movie really brightened up a Monday morning ;) Must visit again but unfortunately have to work now.

Your first watercolour? I find that hard to believe, it's very successful. Don't change anything to it anyway (quickest way to turn a watercolour into a horrible mess is to fiddle with it afterwards). It's fine as it is.
For future pictures, I'd like to see the bird in a bit more habitat. But then that's my personal taste, if you're happy doing portraits, then that's the way to carry on. Certainly, carry on and take risks in what you paint.

An excellent water-color of the bird that got me started! Lovely Trogon, Tim. May I ask why you chose this bird to start with? Curious sense it doesn't come up very far in the states.

Thanks, Lisa!

Well, I chose the Elegant Trogon as my starter because of its simple markings, interesting shape, beautiful color, and how ornithologically interesting they are. It was great fun painting it, and surprisingly simple. :)

Thanks for the reply makes sense, surprisingly simple - for you! I would have just had smears of colors.

Lovely work Tim - the bird is very nicely rendered and the branch, 3-d and wholely convincing. Excellent start and look forward to more.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back