• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern Tibet & Western Sichuan, May 2016 (1 Viewer)

The other book that might be useful is Birds of Bhutan - many of the montane species are common to both, but it's also worth noting that Sichuan is the centre of endemism in China, so for those species McKinnon is currently the only option.

Cheers
Mike

China 14: Tangjiahe Nature Reserve, day 2

Nearly there now. Part 14 of the trip, day 2 at Tangjiahe (White-crowned Forktail, Ultramarine Flycatcher, White-throated Laughingthrush, Temminck's Tragopan and Sichuan hotpot):

http://www.outofthebluesky.co/?p=866

Attachments

• TomBedford.20160523.4271-2.jpg
    TomBedford.20160523.4271-2.jpg
    912.9 KB · Views: 73
  • TomBedford.20160523.4397-2.jpg
    TomBedford.20160523.4397-2.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 59
  • TomBedford.20160523.4361-3.jpg
    TomBedford.20160523.4361-3.jpg
    734.6 KB · Views: 57
China 15: lowland birding around Dujiangyan

Part 15 - Essentially a travel day to the final site of the trip, but there was some morning birding around Dujiangyan in the Chengdu basin, before the drive south to Longcanngou.

(Fire-breasted Flowerpecker, Northern BooBook Owl, House Swift):

http://www.outofthebluesky.co/?p=928

Attachments

• TomBedford.20160524.4435-1.jpg
    TomBedford.20160524.4435-1.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 43
  • TomBedford.20160524.4459.jpg
    TomBedford.20160524.4459.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 42
China 16: Longcanggou - the end!

The final part - at last!

Three days at Longcanggou, in appalling weather and mud, but we did just about manage to pull out some good birds (Lady Amherst's Pheasant, Emei and Kloss's Leaf Warblers, Sichuan Treecreeper, Brown & Golden Parrotbill, Streaked Barwing, Spotted and Little Forktails):

http://www.outofthebluesky.co/?page_id=27

I'll put something together in terms of costs and logistics, as a couple of people have asked, plus a final post or two with some nice pictures as soon as time allows. Enjoy! I did!

Cheers,

Tom

Attachments

• TomBedford.20160525.4660a.jpg
    TomBedford.20160525.4660a.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 43
  • TomBedford.20160526.5052-1a.jpg
    TomBedford.20160526.5052-1a.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 27
  • TomBedford.20160526.5174-1a.jpg
    TomBedford.20160526.5174-1a.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 28
  • TomBedford.20160526.5067a.jpg
    TomBedford.20160526.5067a.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 31
China 18: Sichuan phylloscopus warblers & their songs

A big challenge! Photos of the species that we saw, plus embedded recordings of their songs for future reference:

http://www.outofthebluesky.co/?p=1020

Please someone publish a decent field+sound guide to the phylloscopus warblers of China!

Attachments

• TomBedford.20160513.0076.jpg
    TomBedford.20160513.0076.jpg
    641.3 KB · Views: 32
  • TomBedford.20160525.4713-1.jpg
    TomBedford.20160525.4713-1.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 28
  • TomBedford.20160520.3179-1.jpg
    TomBedford.20160520.3179-1.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 30
Brilliant trip report!

What a brilliant report and beautifully illustrated too :) I love reports that give a lot of background information so that you get a real feel for the country. We are booked to go in April next year with Sid - I hope the weather is better!

Thanks for the positive comments guys!

Here is the next installment:

China 8: Tibetan Plateau day 2 (Hume's Ground Tit, Tibetan Wagtail, Tibetan Lark, Black-necked Crane, White-rumped & Rufous-necked Snowfinches, Saker Falcon, Horned Lark):
http://www.outofthebluesky.co/?p=549

Absolutely wunderfull report. Looking forward of going there myself in a few years time! My girfriend might like it less with all the snow but who knows. Seen any interesting mammals not mentioned in the report?

That impy eagle in #8 isn't that a pallas's fish eagle?

Regards,
Pierre

Absolutely wunderfull report. Looking forward of going there myself in a few years time! My girfriend might like it less with all the snow but who knows. Seen any interesting mammals not mentioned in the report?

That impy eagle in #8 isn't that a pallas's fish eagle?

Regards,
Pierre

Thank you Pierre, a juvenile Pallas's Fish Eagle is EXACTLY what that eagle species is! The dark head and mask puzzled us at the time, but Pallas's Fish Eagle was not even on our radar. Good call!
As for mammal species not in the report, we missed out on Pallas's Cat, despite some spotlighting, on the Tibetan Plateau but they are certainly there and are often seen by visiting birders/tours. Good luck if you go,

Cheers, Tom

What a brilliant report and beautifully illustrated too :) I love reports that give a lot of background information so that you get a real feel for the country. We are booked to go in April next year with Sid - I hope the weather is better!

Glad you enjoyed it seedyrom, I too prefer trip reports that touch on a little more than just the birds. I'm sure you will have a great trip next April and I hope April is less wet than our experience of May in Sichuan, hopefully you have a few backup days booked in, just in case!

Cheers,

Tom

Great report Tom, am still working on mine (from May this year....)
Just wonder if you could check your web-links as some of the pages are not displaying correctly (ie don't seem to be able to view page 16...and a couple of others)
Cheers, Tom

Great report Tom, am still working on mine (from May this year....)
Just wonder if you could check your web-links as some of the pages are not displaying correctly (ie don't seem to be able to view page 16...and a couple of others)
Cheers, Tom

Hi Tom, thanks for the heads up on the weblinks. I get the occasional error message too - and its MY website! Try again now - I think this is an intermittent technical issue, rather than cyber-attack from the Chinese Government over my vaguely critical comments over Chinese intervention in Tibet, the crap weather in Sichuan in May and their infuriating phylloscopus warblers... but you never know ;)

Looking forward to your report,

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Hi Tom, thanks for the heads up on the weblinks. I get the occasional error message too - and its MY website! Try again now - I think this is an intermittent technical issue, rather than cyber-attack from the Chinese Government over my vaguely critical comments over Chinese intervention in Tibet, the crap weather in Sichuan in May and their infuriating phylloscopus warblers... but you never know ;)

Looking forward to your report,

Cheers,

Tom

Have you considered forwarding your blog and the associated photos to the Chinese government?
I think they are searching quite frantically for ways to make their country more people friendly and open to the rest of the world, but suspect that being a birder was not a ticket for advancement in the hierarchy. So there is a disconnect, which your wonderful blog might help bridge a little.
The only glitch is that I have no idea which segment of the Chinese Government you need to sent it to, but it should be very well received if it can be addressed correctly.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back