• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spain, Bears and Butterflies. (1 Viewer)

Jos Stratford

Eastern Exile
Staff member
United Kingdom
A little late with a write-up, but maybe of interest to anybody travelling next year.

Travelling between 24-27 August 2016, this short trip was timed to coincide with the relatively brief period each year that Brown Bears emerge onto the open slopes of the Cantabrian Mountains to feed on berries. The plan was to look for the bears morning and evening, then spend the days searching for late season butterflies, this proving very successful with many species seen.

DAILY LOG

24 August.

Arrived in Madrid early evening, set out for the 450 km drive north to Pola de Somiedo, heart of the Cantabrian Mountains. One fatal road accident on route temporarily closing the motorway, plus several Booted Eagles and Short-toed Eagles.

25 August.

Pre-dawn, one Red Fox trotting along the road, one puncture! These aside, I soon arrived at the small settlement of La Peral. Here, a picture perfect setting, mountain slopes rising in each direction, rocky crags high above. These were the slopes favoured by the Brown Bears, pockets of forest and expanses of open landscape dotted by the berry bushes that entice the bears out at this season. Just before I arrived (darn that puncture), a bear had already ambled across, so it was high hopes that I settled down and joined quite a few Spanish observers to scan the slopes. Warm sun rising, three Pyrenean Chamois on the slopes, several early Griffon Vultures launching into the skies, Hobby circling above and Black Redstarts flicking across the rocks. Three hours drifted by, not unpleasant at all, but as the temperature rose, it was clear that no more bears would be seen this morning.

No point sitting on this mountain ridge too long, time to look for butterflies! After repairing the puncture, I started with a random meadow near the village of Gua, one that immediately proved good - Speckled Woods and Gatekeepers aside the hedgerows, then Clouded Yellows and Marbled Whites in abundance on the slopes, a little more investigation soon adding Chalkhill Blue, a few Weaver’s Fritillaries, a single Chapman's Blue, a Southern Grizzled Skipper and dozen or so other welcome species - I was impressed, I had not expected so many butterflies still on the wing.

At midday, I moved to meadows beneath La Peral, these also proving most excellent. As temperatures approached 30 C, dense masses of blues began 'puddling' on damp patches along a track aside a stream: mixed Chalkhill Blues in the main, supplemented by Mountain Argus, numerous Small Whites, a Queen of Spain Fritillary and, a gem indeed, an exquisite Lang's Short-tailed Blue. On the hillside above, yet more Clouded Yellows and Marbled Whites, plus Mallow Skipper, Lulworth Skipper, High Brown Fritillaries, Silver-washed Fritillaries and many more.

About 4 pm however, deep rumblings sounded out as thunder approached, the skies rapidly darkening. Within fifteen minutes, heavy rain lashing the mountain side, soon followed by massive hailstones and a temperature plunging to about 16 C. That ended the butterfly action! No bad thing, bears are not big fans of the blazing sun, so the cooler weather was far more likely to bring them out into the open.

So, with a break in the rain, back to the ridge I went, a good couple of hours earlier than planned. Most atmospheric it was, wisps of clouds hugging the tops, thunder echoing through the valley, two Griffon Vultures drifting across the dark sky, Black Redstarts on a fence and there, nonchalantly ambling from berry bush to berry bush, one Brown Bear!

Big blond shoulders, a fine individual indeed. Watched this bear for about half an hour until it chambered up onto a large rocky outcrop. Then, after a period of stretching to reach berries on an overhanging shrub, the bear chambered down behind the boulders and vanished. Spots of rain returned, the bear didn't emerge ...until maybe 15 minutes later when not one, but two Brown Bears appeared in view! Blonde shoulders and another fairly pale individual. Together, they slowly proceeded across the slope, up and over rocks and finally into an area of woodland. Heavy cloud again approaching, I decided that was a splendid finale to the day, so back to the car I jogged as ominous big drops of rain began splattering down. A night of impressive lighting storms thereafter followed.

Last edited:
A few from day one...

Attachments

• Mountain Argus sp 2.jpg
    Mountain Argus sp 2.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Chalkhill Blue male sp 3.jpg
    Chalkhill Blue male sp 3.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Langs Short-tailed Blue sp 2.jpg
    Langs Short-tailed Blue sp 2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Mallow Skipper sp 2.jpg
    Mallow Skipper sp 2.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Queen of Spain sp 1.jpg
    Queen of Spain sp 1.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 53
Forgot to finish this report!

26 August.

Returned to the La Peral ridge at dawn, low cloud and a last band of rain moving through. Chough, Black Redstart and Serins knocking about. Waited in the car till the rain stopped, then trundled back up the slope. Two Brown Bears feeding opposite, the same pair as the evening before, blond shoulders and chum. Five Pyrenean Chamois to the right, one left too. Then, a third Brown Bear crossing a small meadow at the valley bottom, a very dark one this time. Poor weather produces the goods again!

As for the rest of the day and butterflies however, things were not looking too optimistic - not only did the cloud show little sign of clearing, but it was also very windy. Drove a long circuit of the general area, seeing little beyond a few European Bee-eaters and a Short-toed Eagle, then decided to explore the Saliencia Valley north of Pola de Somiedo.

Early afternoon, just as I was debating writing the rest of the day off, suddenly the sun broke through ...and immediately it was butterflies galore. First site, a roadside verge, produced a dozen species, including several Long-tailed Blues, one Lang's Short-tailed Blue a single Obether's Grizzled Skipper and a Mallow Skipper.

The second site that I stumbled across was even better - a flower-rich meadow on a steep slope, there were loads of butterflies soaking up the now warm sunshine, temperatures having quickly rising to 30 C. Without even leaving the road, I was in the midst of dozens of Chalkhill Blues, a single Adonis Blue, a very nice Red Underwing Skipper and a couple of Small Skippers. Cleopatra, Marbled Whites and Clouded Yellows drifted down the slope beyond, one Berger's Clouded Yellow also picked up, along with Sooty and Scarce Coppers, plenty of Meadow Browns and a nice mix of other common species.

Headed down to the main Someido Valley thereafter, hoping (but failing) to find more productive meadows. it was a very narrow limestone gorge in this region, but after a bit of trial and error, I did find another splendid site - a steep scree slope, dotted with brambles and flowering shrubs and ending at the river itself. Hard to work, lose rock and snagging brambles predominating, but some superb rewards for the effort, the absolute highlight being male Cleopatra that allowed me to get a few photographs - this mobile species has always eluded my camera in the past. Also Niobe Fritillary and Bath White here, along with Wall Browns, Gatekeepers and, complementing the Cleopatra, a couple of Brimstones.

Given the excellent weather and warm conditions, an evening return to the La Peral ridge was a very pleasant experience, albeit with the expectation that bears would not appear very early. Immature Lammergeier appeared in the afternoon sunshine, three Pyrenean Chamois too. But indeed the bears didn't appear early ...well past 7pm this evening when finally I spotted a Brown Bear, a mid-brown individual clambering up the slope.

After watching the bear for about 10 minutes, it entered woodland and so ended the day - a pretty good day by any standards, four different Brown Bears, 34 species of butterfly and a whole bunch of birds, not least Lammergeier.

Some shots...

Attachments

• Cleopatra sp 1.jpg
    Cleopatra sp 1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Cleopatra sp 2.jpg
    Cleopatra sp 2.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Red Underwing Skipper sp 1.jpg
    Red Underwing Skipper sp 1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Red Underwing Skipper sp 3.jpg
    Red Underwing Skipper sp 3.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Wall Brown sp 1.jpg
    Wall Brown sp 1.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 39
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back