• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best camera for the Swarovski ATS 80 HD (1 Viewer)

mdholland

What is the best camera for the Swarovski ATS 80 HD?

I just bought a Swarovski ATS 80 HD with a 20-60x eyepiece, I'm looking to buy a new camera for it. Looking for a camera with a 7 megapixels or more. I'm thinking about buying A620, S80, or SD550 canon. Maybe nikon coolpix P1, 7900, 7600. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Mike :bounce: :t:

Last edited:
I'm ready for a new camera myself! I have the same scope/eyepiece and I've been using a Nikon CP5000 and, at times, my DSLR (a Canon 20D). The Nikon's response time is just too slow and the DSLR is too much trouble to setup and use. For mounting, I have the Swarovski DCA.

Just what is the current "best" choice of camera? And what is the adaptor thread size needed?

I have exactly the same set-up

mdholland said:
I just bought a Swarovski ATS 80 HD with a 20-60x eyepiece, I'm looking to buy a new camera for it. Looking for a camera with a 7 megapixels or more. I'm thinking about buying A620, S80, or SD550 canon. Maybe nikon coolpix P1, 7900, 7600. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Have you purchased a camera yet? I have had a Nikon 4500 and 990, and they no longer function. Is it worth repairing these cameras, or is there a better substitute to be recommended?

Thanks,

Brunel

mdholland said:

I wouldn't get a camera for serious digiscoping without a Rotatable Screen, Remote Control,long battery life,Area Spot Focusing (ability to move the focus point around the branch that's in the way of your "lifer" ),2 frames per second (faster is better),lens screw thread and RAW. But that's just me, Neil.

mdholland said:

Mike,

I'm sort of late replying but check out the Olympus models. 8MP and small, excellent lens. There are only a couple of users on BF but Forcreeks and my gallery (Josef) show their potential. We use similar Kowa scopes and will get minimal vinette at low camera magnification but it hasn't been a problem, once I have the camera on I set the minimum mag and then go stronger if I need it. Oly has also been coming out with some huge monitors and when they get one with alot of manual settings like my C-60 I might upgrade. The reason the monitor size and sharpness is so important is it is the way one focuses. When I get the bird in view I use the scope focus to set the focus on the monitor.

Good luck and you sure have a great area for digiscoping, I was in Minn last August and set my record for most shots in 3 days.

Joe

Neil said:
I wouldn't get a camera for serious digiscoping without a Rotatable Screen, Remote Control,long battery life,Area Spot Focusing (ability to move the focus point around the branch that's in the way of your "lifer" ),2 frames per second (faster is better),lens screw thread and RAW. But that's just me, Neil.

Neil, does the Olympus 7070 wz do all of that ? Bob

Bob,
Yes, although it only really has one center focus point which can be moved slowly around the frame. The Nikon CP8400 is the only other camera of the recent past that has similar features for digiscoping but it's a bit slower. Neil.

Thank you for your replies, I decided to buy Canon Powershot S80, I also bought the G1325 tripod and Swarovski Digital camera adapter DCA.

mdholland said:
Thank you for your replies, I decided to buy Canon Powershot S80, I also bought the G1325 tripod and Swarovski Digital camera adapter DCA.

Sounds like a good set-up, Mike. I look forward to seeing your results.

mdholland said:

I haven't used a Gitzo for digiscoping but they are designed to carry heavy,pro camera/lens combinations which provide a downward force which helps to keep the whole setup steady. With a light digiscoping setup they will be more likely to pick up vibration either from wind or from touching the camera/scope. I will be interested to hear your experience with this combination as I'm in the market for the tripod myself.Neil.

Hanno said:
I use the Sony DSC-W7, a 7.2 Megapixel camera, on my Swaro and am very pleased with it.

Hi, Hanno

I am about to buy this scope and eyepiece set-up and I'm researching cameras for digiscoping. I've read that a remote cable release is important to help reduce camera shake. Do you use a cable release with your Sony? If not, have you encountered any problems?

Cheers,
Malcolm

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back