• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warning (1 Viewer)

Steve

Staff member
United Kingdom
PLEASE BE AWARE

PLEASE IGNORE ANY MAIL WITH AN ATTACHMENT PROPORTING TO BE FROM [email protected] AND SOMETHING TO DO WITH ULTIMATE BET THIS WAS CREATED AUTOMATICALLY AND NOTHING TO DO WITH US. WE WILL PM YOU IF WE NEED TO , BUT WE HAVE EXPERTS CHECKING THE SOURCE OUT BIT OF A NUISANCE BUT THERE ARE SOME IDIOTS OUT THERE IN CYBER LAND, JUST LEAVES A MESS FOR US TO TIDY UP

ANY QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS PLEASE POST BELOW.

REGARDS TO YOU ALL

STEVE

Re: PLEASE BE AWARE

Steve said:
PLEASE IGNORE ANY MAIL WITH AN ATTACHMENT PROPORTING TO BE FROM [email protected] AND SOMETHING TO DO WITH ULTIMATE BET THIS WAS CREATED AUTOMATICALLY AND NOTHING TO DO WITH US. WE WILL PM YOU IF WE NEED TO , BUT WE HAVE EXPERTS CHECKING THE SOURCE OUT BIT OF A NUISANCE BUT THERE ARE SOME IDIOTS OUT THERE IN CYBER LAND, JUST LEAVES A MESS FOR US TO TIDY UP

ANY QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS PLEASE POST BELOW.

REGARDS TO YOU ALL

STEVE

Ok Steve

I received this email on my system today but Norton found this, I had to go into NTL to delete this but thanks for explaining this warning.

Roy.

REMEDY CURE ETC

A REMEDY AND CURE TO THIS WORM WILL BE POSTED BY JENNY WREN VERY SOON, SHES ON THE CASE NOW:t:

DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!

RE: W32.Yaha.F@mm (THIS IS A VIRUS)

Hi Everybody!!!

At some point today, most/some of us will have found that we received an email from BirdForum,..... which contains a nasty 'worm'!!

For those of us with up to date antivirus programmes, we're the lucky ones.... and have probably remained untouched by this goddamn worm!!

I promise you this is not an act of malice thrown upon us by Steve, it's nobody's fault (apart from the bright sparks who get a kick out of creating these things in the first place!)... and I do hope that nobody is blaming him for this!!

Please find below, the relevant information about this worm, which may shed more light on the subject for you.....

VIRUS INFO

Win32.Yahaa.E@mm

Name: Win32.Yahaa.E@mm
Aliases: Win32/Yahaa.F@mm
Type: Executable Mass Mailer
Size: 29970 bytes
Discovered: 06, 20, 2002
Detected: 06, 20, 2002, 14:00 (GMT+2)
Spreading: High
Damage: Medium
ITW: Yes

Technical description:
This is a slightly modified version of Win32.Yahaa.D@mm.
The differences are:
- Yahaa.E is flooding the following URL:
Also Known As: WORM_YAHA.E [Trend], Worm/Lentin.F [Vexira], W32/Yaha.g@MM [McAfee], Yaha.E [F-Secure], W32/Yaha-E [Sophos], Win32.Yaha.E [CA]

-If W32.Yaha.F@mm runs, it does the following:

It attempts to send itself to all email addresses that exist in the Windows Address Book file, the MSN Messenger List, the Yahoo Pager list, the ICQ list, and files with extensions that contain the letters ht.

Systems Not Affected: Macintosh, Unix, Linux.

For anybody who thinks they may now have this virus/worm,.... please click this link .... W32.yaha.g@mm REMOVAL TOOL

Download it to your 'desktop',.... then let it run!!!

When it is finished (it takes a while to go through all your files, be patient).... it will tell you whether your PC was infected or not, and if so, it will also rid your PC of the infection!!

I would recommend that all BirdForum users download this 'removal tool' and check as soon as possible,.... after all, it's nice to be 'bug free'!!!

Thanks for the info Steve & Jenny Wren

Had a quick check of my e's do not seem to have been sent it. Though I hope if i had my Norton would cover it

burhinus

Burhinus....

You're one of the lucky ones! :t:

If your email address begins with 'B' (or if you're logged in Steve's address book under 'B').... you've managed to escape it!

This worm thingy seems to attach itself to anything from 'C' or 'D' (I can't remember which one?) in the alpabet and upwards... !!!

As for the rest of us,..... let's hope that we all had reliable AntiVirus software!

I can't stipulate enough how important it is to go along to the relevant website and get regular updates on your AntiVirus,..... one lousy virus could wreck your whole system! :-C

virus

All appears well again,Im sorry if you were alarmed or indeed disrupted by this nonsence, you would think that the maker of such a bug, would use his undoubted talent to the good, still it keeps us on our toes I suppose.

steve

Yeah, it came my way last night but I run smack, bang uptodate anti virus software (because of my own web sites) and it captured it and dealt with it. I have run a complete virus check afterwards as a precaution and all is well. No problems.

Colin

For those of you who want to stay virus free but want a nice cheap (or free!) solution you should try a antivirus package called AVG. The nice people at http://www.grisoft.com/ have made a free version - it works for one of my mates so take a look..

And no i'm not getting paid to plug this product - just letting ya know! :king:

Toodles,

Oliver, :eat: your friendly local techie!

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back