• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

golden eagles in galloway (1 Viewer)

me and my pal went hillwaliking up the cairnsmore of carsphairn about a month ago and we were coming down the back of the hill towards the clennoch bothy and my pal shouted (look at that)! it was maybe a good 100yards in front of us and 150 foot high but i am 100% sure it was a golden eagle. it was massive and although i couldnt get a good look at the colours on it i know it wasnt a big buzzard it was much bigger and i have saw golden eagles and sea eagles in mull this summer and am sure it was one. it flew up the valley and must have been about 2.5 - 3 miles away and another one flew out from a clifface up the valley, even then they looked massive at a distance. i was buzzing all day after this because i love raptors and never thought i would see an eagle only a few miles from my home. ospreys were also at loch doon this summer only a 15min walk or 5min drive from my house and a pair of hen herriers around dalmellington to. its looking good for the raptors round this way. i would love to hear if anyone else has heard of the eagles at the cairnsmore of carsphairn

Hi Colin and a warm welcome to you on behalf of the Staff and Moderators.

It's wonderful when you come round a corner like that to be confronted by something so memorable. That experience will live with you for a long time I'm sure.

Keep an eye on this thread; we usually have a few meetings each year and they are all great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us if you can manage.

D

I have seen Golden Eagles from the Lauriston to Gatehouse of Fleet road.I have actually seen a pair mating on the hill side twice before.

me and my pal went hillwaliking up the cairnsmore of carsphairn about a month ago and we were coming down the back of the hill towards the clennoch bothy and my pal shouted (look at that)! it was maybe a good 100yards in front of us and 150 foot high but i am 100% sure it was a golden eagle. it was massive and although i couldnt get a good look at the colours on it i know it wasnt a big buzzard it was much bigger and i have saw golden eagles and sea eagles in mull this summer and am sure it was one. it flew up the valley and must have been about 2.5 - 3 miles away and another one flew out from a clifface up the valley, even then they looked massive at a distance. i was buzzing all day after this because i love raptors and never thought i would see an eagle only a few miles from my home. ospreys were also at loch doon this summer only a 15min walk or 5min drive from my house and a pair of hen herriers around dalmellington to. its looking good for the raptors round this way. i would love to hear if anyone else has heard of the eagles at the cairnsmore of carsphairn
A small group of us were up in Galloway in November,alas no Golden Eagles but great views of Red Kite and Common Buzzard,our first time in the area for birding (my last visit was 30 years ago for a 2 day mountain marathon) and we were impressed enough to be planning a return visit.

thanks for the replys and the link to the raptor study group. i have visited the site before and got in contact with a guy from ayr who wanted to take me out and show me the ropes but i was so busy with work as i have 2 jobs. i knew there was up to 3 breeding pair in D & G it was just a shock to se a pair. i read a book once about a guy who stayed at the foot of that hill and he said in the book he saw an eagle there for one winter years ago that was my main reason for walking it and to visit the bothy on the other side

RE: Repeat Galloway trip

A small group of us were up in Galloway in November,alas no Golden Eagles but great views of Red Kite and Common Buzzard,our first time in the area for birding (my last visit was 30 years ago for a 2 day mountain marathon) and we were impressed enough to be planning a return visit.

Glad you enjoyed your Nov trip & are planning a repeat - do come birding in this great, diverse region again, we are always pleased to welcome all visitors. Why not do the Galloway Kite Trail as well as the hillwalking. Always interested to see what folk are seeing on my local patch & it is great for raptors.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back