• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SE 8x32 low light compatibility (1 Viewer)

Tim Allwood said:
reckon they'd be fine light-gathering wise
don't know how they stand up to a humid forest interior and lots of moisture.......

Given that Japan is a tropical country, I would imagine that you could send an email to Nikon headquarters to find out how they stand up to tropical conditions.

Leif said:
If they are ceasing production then it can only be because the ignorant unwashed masses are unable to recognise quality when they see it ... 3:)

Or maybe they did listen to you and decided to improve the eyecups ;)

Ilkka

The SE eyecups may be fold down rubber, but they are very compliant, and mould somewhat to the 'eyebones' to seal out a little extra unwanted light, unlike my zeiss classics which dont budge and hurt me after awhile. I actually find the SE eyecups quite ok.

Leif said:
Given that Japan is a tropical country, I would imagine that you could send an email to Nikon headquarters to find out how they stand up to tropical conditions.
Leif,
I hate to be the one to point this out, but, Japan is NOT a tropical country. Far from it. No part of Japan can be considered tropical, not even the southern most sections!

Now, Sri Lanka is the epitome of "tropicalism" situated a mere 5 degrees above the equator. My Nikon camera lenses were just returned from Singapore after under-going extensive cleaning to clear fungal growth!!

mpedris said:
Leif,
I hate to be the one to point this out, but, Japan is NOT a tropical country. Far from it. No part of Japan can be considered tropical, not even the southern most sections!

Now, Sri Lanka is the epitome of "tropicalism" situated a mere 5 degrees above the equator. My Nikon camera lenses were just returned from Singapore after under-going extensive cleaning to clear fungal growth!!

I stand corrected! What kind of climate does Japan have?

Leif said:
I stand corrected! What kind of climate does Japan have?
Leif,

I have attached two atlases: one of Asia and one of Europe. If you look at the Asian atlas, it shows that Japan lies between latitudes 30deg N and 45deg N. So, comparing those latitudes with the European atlas, the northern-most parts of Japan seem to have the climate of Italy while the southern-most parts seem to have the climate of Israel (minus the desert climate since Japan is not desert).

Attachments

• Atlas - Asia.gif
    Atlas - Asia.gif
    80.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Atlas Europe.gif
    Atlas Europe.gif
    51.7 KB · Views: 78
mpedris said:
Leif,

I have attached two atlases: one of Asia and one of Europe. If you look at the Asian atlas, it shows that Japan lies between latitudes 30deg N and 45deg N. So, comparing those latitudes with the European atlas, the northern-most parts of Japan seem to have the climate of Italy while the southern-most parts seem to have the climate of Israel (minus the desert climate since Japan is not desert).

I assumed it was tropical as it is 'close' to Taiwan which is tropical according to a Taiwanese friend. Anyway, surely Nikon would know whether or not the SE binoculars are suitable for tropical climates?

mpedris said:
North County Camera's website did not list the 8x32 Premier SE under available Nikon binoculars.

Manendra-they're in stock according to the salesman I spoke with last week. Not sure why they're not on the website, but they've got them at the store; you could email them if interested. As Charlie said, there are a few places that have them advertised for a lot less (like $455USD from hotbuys electronics) but noone has them in stock at lower prices. I ended up finding a set of 10x42 SEs brand new for $500USD including shipping, so I got those instead-I'm a 10x fan but was very interested in the 8s, and will continue to try to find a good deal on them somewhere, preferably used. Rod

Has anyone done business with Moosegear.com? If yes, how was your experience with them? I am planning to buy my 8x32 SE from them and was wondering if anyone has anything special to say about the store. From their website, it seems to be a pretty reputed company. But the first time I've heard about them is on this thread. So, I thought I'd get your opinions.

Thanks.

Last edited:
mpedris said:
If you look at the Asian atlas, it shows that Japan lies between latitudes 30deg N and 45deg N. So, comparing those latitudes with the European atlas, the northern-most parts of Japan seem to have the climate of Italy while the southern-most parts seem to have the climate of Israel (minus the desert climate since Japan is not desert).

Northern part of Japan, the island of Hokkaido, has a very cold climate with a huge amount of preciptation. The southern island is warm like Italy but with substantially more rainfall. In Europe we have the warm Gulf current and the African continent that keep us warm but in Japan the surrounding sea is cold.

I have never had any problems with rain and porros during 25 years of birding. That is why I had no trouble deciding upon an SE. It was just the choice between 8x32 and 10x42 that was hard. I settled for the 10x42 SE because they are so much better than the 8x32 SE.

Cheers, Jens.

BTW. In Japan the 8x32 SE is only Y49,400 = EUR 367 = £245 = $ 434...

I have looked carefully at the SE10x42, Jens, and can only agree with you,they are outstanding. I eventually chose the 8x for myself, but wouldnt mind owning both of them. I think that porros of the SE calibre are probably much more tolerant of weather than we imagine. For me, its probably more an insecure feeling when i turn that focus wheel in dusty or humid conditions than reality.

jebir said:
I settled for the 10x42 SE because they are so much better than the 8x32 SE.
I think they are just for slightly different purposes, but I do agree that you can see more details with 10x. Unfortunately there are no such thing as a perfect pair of binoculars, but when you have a pair of 8x32SE, 8/10x32HG and 10x42SE (oh, and 8x20HG) you are about as well equipped as you can get ;) ... two more to go!

Ilkka

iporali said:
I think they are just for slightly different purposes, but I do agree that you can see more details with 10x. Unfortunately there are no such thing as a perfect pair of binoculars, but when you have a pair of 8x32SE, 8/10x32HG and 10x42SE (oh, and 8x20HG) you are about as well equipped as you can get ;) ... two more to go!

Ilkka
Did you forget the 8x42HG?

iporali said:
I think they are just for slightly different purposes, but I do agree that you can see more details with 10x.

Yes, I agree that they are a bit wild in a dense forrest. However, even for an 8x there are already too many leaves - not to mention all those birch flowers... ;)

...when you have a pair of 8x32SE, 8/10x32HG and 10x42SE (oh, and 8x20HG) you are about as well equipped as you can get ;) ... two more to go!

I sold the last 8x32 SE... :eek!: ...I..ehm... my wife... was hoping that nobody would want them. So, I'm one behind now!

Cheers, Jens.

Last edited:
mpedris said:
Did you forget the 8x42HG?
Actually I thought they would be too heavy even in my fantasies, but what the heck... let's take them too. Or you could replace the 32mm HGs.

jebir said:
Yes, I agree that they are a bit wild in a dense forrest. However, even for an 8x there are already too many leaves - not to mention all those birch flowers... ;)

Tell me about it - when you watch the birch flowers through SEs, the view is so natural that you get allergic symptoms...

Ilkka

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back