• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Saltholme (2 Viewers)

Woo hoo :D

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=177076

Saltholme hosted the first record for the county with two adults on Saltholme East last year and this year the reserve and county's second record, this time a juvenile is found on Saltholme West.

A supporting cast of adult and immature Little Gull, Mediterranean Gull, Little Stint and the two very confiding Wood Sandpipers in front of Saltholme Pools Hide (see link) rounded off a great day :D

http://www.teesmouthbc.com/forumtbc/index.php?topic=1681.0

Woo hoo :D

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=177076

Saltholme hosted the first record for the county with two adults on Saltholme East last year and this year the reserve and county's second record, this time a juvenile is found on Saltholme West.

A supporting cast of adult and immature Little Gull, Mediterranean Gull, Little Stint and the two very confiding Wood Sandpipers in front of Saltholme Pools Hide (see link) rounded off a great day :D

http://www.teesmouthbc.com/forumtbc/index.php?topic=1681.0

An even better ending to the day with a White-rumped Sandpiper found late afternoon amongst an influx of waders including a few new arrivals of Black-tailed Godwit and Dunlin.

Thanks to the chaps who helped me with that wader, was difficult light, but a cracker )

Lets hope it hangs about and someone gets a pic! AM sure steff will have some good pics of the tern too.

I took some photos of the Sandpiper but it was a little too distant for my gear.

Attachments

• IMG_3242a.jpg
    IMG_3242a.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3223a.jpg
    IMG_3223a.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 101
Is the "little stint" still about in the same spot?

That bird is still bugging me. It was huge for a little stint and had rather messy chest.

Probably moved on with the wrs+dunlins i guess?

Is the "little stint" still about in the same spot?

That bird is still bugging me. It was huge for a little stint and had rather messy chest.

Probably moved on with the wrs+dunlins i guess?

The Little Stint I saw on Wednesday looked as expected for a little stint, normal size and normal plumage for an adult. If the bird you saw was "huge for a little stint", are you sure you were looking at the right bird and not a juv Dunlin?

virtually certain, although given the poor light a nd dodgy scope i was using, its possible i wasnt; the bird had a smaller bill than the dunlins around it, however i know how variable dunlins can be!

The last report I know of the Little Stint was on Wednesday when it together with the WR Sandpiper and a whole load of Dunlin headed off north to the Greatham Creek area. The WRS was refound moving between Tidal Pool, Greenabella and Greatham Creek. No one could find it last night though it was mentioned there were several hundred Dunlin mixed in with a good number of Curlew, Knot etc and it would be very difficult to spot.

There's virtually no waders at Saltholme this morning not even the Wood Sandpipers that have been regulars the last week or so. I only saw two Redshank and a Dunlin from the Saltholme hide and there were maybe Dunlin x8 along the causeway with Knot x2 and a Black-tailed Godwit.

The Whiskered Tern was pretty mobile moving between Saltholme-Rec Pond-Dormans Pool and then back to Satholme at lunchtime where it roosted for a while beside a Little Gull until disturbed by a passing Heron. After that it was still in flight feeding until I left.

To celebrate the Tall Ships Races 2010 finishing in Hartlepool, RSPB Saltholme will be open until 8.30 pm each evening from Saturday 7th August to Tuesday 10th of August. With the quality of birds we've had recently you wouldn't bet on something else turning up so have a look for waders coming in to roost at Saltholme Pools Hide or relax in the cafe after a late afternoon stroll up to Haverton. To find out more, including details of other events, visit www.rspb.org.uk/saltholme

The Whiskered Tern is still showing from Saltholme Pools Hide this morning and there was a little increase in wader numbers yesterday with 70 Dunlin and 10 Ruff around the fringes. The reserve will be open till 8.30pm for the next four evenings so if you want to spend some extra time watching the tern or sifting through the waders for something different then now's your chance. We also have the Viking optical team in for the weekend so if you're considering upgrading your binoculars or want to know what to look for when buying your first telescope come down and have a chat and let us help you out.

Water Voles

3 of these little chaps showed fantasticlaly throughout the day near Saltholme Pools Hide on the 8th of August.

Attachments

• Hidden.jpg
    Hidden.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Peek.jpg
    Peek.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Swimming.jpg
    Swimming.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 103
Hi there, the Leeds RSPB group is planning a trip to Saltholme (25/9) via the Teesmouth Visitor Centre. Now that I've read that again it sounds like good birding time wasted. Or should I save my money for a trip to Spurn (16/10)? Nonetheless, what could I reasonably expect in late September? I only ask because funds are limited. Good birds could be found at either location. Suggestions, recommendations or opinions gratefully received

Hi there, the Leeds RSPB group is planning a trip to Saltholme (25/9) via the Teesmouth Visitor Centre. Now that I've read that again it sounds like good birding time wasted. Or should I save my money for a trip to Spurn (16/10)? Nonetheless, what could I reasonably expect in late September? I only ask because funds are limited. Good birds could be found at either location. Suggestions, recommendations or opinions gratefully received

A visit to Saltholme is never wasted. There's always plenty of birds around - Curlew Sandpiper, Little Stint, Wood Sandpiper, Spotted Redshank, Grey Plover and Golden Plover are some of the less regular birds I saw this morning. Lots of Ruff and Greenshank present a few Pink-footed Geese were seen today so more should be on the way plus a fwe more Golden Plover which are only just starting to arrive back.

You'd be better off checking either the Durham Birding thread or the Teesmouth Bird Club sightings page for recent sightings on the reserve plus you can check back to last years sightings for September.

Visits to the Teesmouth Field Centre if that's what you mean usually have to be pre-arranged in case you weren't already aware.

Thanks for the info Ian. BTW is Mike Leakey still at Seal Sands? Knew him from York and not seen him since. Would be nice to catch up.

Thanks for the info Ian. BTW is Mike Leakey still at Seal Sands? Knew him from York and not seen him since. Would be nice to catch up.

He's still around working for Natural England the senior reserve manager for Teesmouth National Nature Reserve. Mike regularly contributes to the local sightings particulalry for Seal Sands.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back