• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic premieres Lumix DMC-FZ100 high-speed superzoom camera (1 Viewer)

I looked a little more at the data on DPReview: raw is now listed for both FZ100 and FZ40. It turns out that the main difference between the two cameras are MOS vs CCD for sensors. (I do realize the difference in LCD and possibility of external flash, but fundamental to the camera itself if the sensor).

The sensor difference was the also the main distinction between Canons SX1 and SX10. The follow up camera from Canon so far has been the SX20 with, surprise, CCD.

So, is the more expensive FZ100 going to be the camera with the poorer sensor? It is going to be really interesting to see tests of these two when they come out!

Niels

Afaik, cmos and ccd are pretty much the same when it comes to image quality. So why should the FZ100 be less good? Do you mean that since Canon uses a CCD it should be better?

I looked a little more at the data on DPReview: raw is now listed for both FZ100 and FZ40. It turns out that the main difference between the two cameras are MOS vs CCD for sensors. (I do realize the difference in LCD and possibility of external flash, but fundamental to the camera itself if the sensor).

The sensor difference was the also the main distinction between Canons SX1 and SX10. The follow up camera from Canon so far has been the SX20 with, surprise, CCD.

So, is the more expensive FZ100 going to be the camera with the poorer sensor? It is going to be really interesting to see tests of these two when they come out!

Niels

Afaik, cmos and ccd are pretty much the same when it comes to image quality. So why should the FZ100 be less good? Do you mean that since Canon uses a CCD it should be better?

I meant that since canon have had both and chose to go on with CCD it should tell us something. Also, I remembered something vaguely, but I just found it again:

(from this thread)
I spent a little more time on Camera Labs extensive review. They spent quite a bit of space comparing the SX1 and SX10. I ended up cancelling my SX1 order and put in an order for the similar SX10. The SX10 is available now in the US, yields slightly better detail in stills, is less expensive, and takes more photos on a set of batteries.

I hope that Pana has gotten the switch to MOS right, but I am saying I want to see some reviews and samples from both types.

Niels

Sorry if I sounded rude, I was just curious what you meant. I understand what you mean, Canons decision might mean something regarding what technique is to be preferred. I also look forward to tests!

Btw, does anyone know if a teleconverter will fit this camera once it is released? I mean, will current ones fit or does it need to have a new design?

I meant that since canon have had both and chose to go on with CCD it should tell us something. Also, I remembered something vaguely, but I just found it again:

I hope that Pana has gotten the switch to MOS right, but I am saying I want to see some reviews and samples from both types.

Niels

Last edited:
Kristoffer,

WE have put the teleconverter with the accessories so I assume that this camera will take it.

I can't find the spec or link on the RAW, so I don't know if it records in this format.

The sensor is the sensor; I would judge this camera on the whole package of lens, image quality and build. The hi-res image of the Heron and Greylag colour wise and sharpness was very good. The light conditions looked good so like all digital camera you have to be aware of the light factor and keep within the resolution limits for noise and reproduction.

I'm tempted by this camera for the simple reason of being able to carry it around without the hassle of being laden with a ton of photographic and optical equipment.

It will never get you that shot of the Hen Harrier on a dull December afternoon at 200 yards, but even the D3 with a 600mm will struggle.

I’ve looked at Fuji HS10, which I like, I was hoping that Nikon would release a Coolpix to match the Canon G11, but that doesn’t look likely. The Canon’s a good camera, but lousy design.

Amazon has got the FZ100 for £450.00.

I think that I will wait until Nikon announce in August their new line-up then decide.

Btw, does anyone know if a teleconverter will fit this camera once it is released? I mean, will current ones fit or does it need to have a new design?

I can confirm that the new Panasonic DMC-FZ100 will be able to accept a telephoto conversion lens. The good news for people like myself who have already bought a teleconverter for the older FZ cameras is that it will use the same DMW-LT55. Because of this I am assuming that the popular and often cheaper alternative, the Olympus 1.7x Tele Conversion Lens (TCON-17) will also work fine.

But you will need a different Lens Adaptor (DMW-LA5) rather than the (DMW-LA3) as was used on the Panasonic DMC-FZ38 (FZ35), DMC-FZ38 or DMC-FZ28 Cameras.

For those interested, I have written more on the subject here: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100

I got the information on the available accessories for the FZ100 from Panasonic here: http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/fz100/optional_accessories.html

Hope this helps - I cant wait to get mine.... now all I have to do is buy another ticket to Africa to test it out! :)

The FZ100 & FZ45 Compared, as far as I can see they both use the same lens and sensor, price difference is down to greater sophistication of the FZ100 over the FZ45

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_...cts/displayResult.html?p=DMC-FZ45&p=DMC-FZ100

The FZ100 uses a MOS sensor - The FZ45 uses a CCD. The sensors are the same size, but (C)MOS sensors appear to be lagging behind in high ISO performance. The Canon SX1 (CMOS) was worse than the SX10 (CCD), apparently.

The MOS sensor in the FZ100 is the same technology as the sensors in the G1 etc, but it's tiny in the FZ100.

I'll wait for the reviews, but I'll probably either keep my FZ28, or get the FZ45 (even though it doesn't have the 11fps of the MOS FZ100)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the advanced features on the FZ100 are made possible by the MOS sensor.

Last edited:
yeah I think I was a bit hasty earlier, got a bit overexcited at the thought of 24x zoom!

Will wait for the reviews, but I agree with you, its more than likely not going to be worth upgrading until a more significant step forward is made with the sensor size/high ISO performance

The FZ100 uses a MOS sensor - The FZ45 uses a CCD. The sensors are the same size, but (C)MOS sensors appear to be lagging behind in high ISO performance. The Canon SX1 (CMOS) was worse than the SX10 (CCD), apparently.

The MOS sensor in the FZ100 is the same technology as the sensors in the G1 etc, but it's tiny in the FZ100.

I'll wait for the reviews, but I'll probably either keep my FZ28, or get the FZ45 (even though it doesn't have the 11fps of the MOS FZ100)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the advanced features on the FZ100 are made possible by the MOS sensor.

The FZ100 also has the flip out LCD, whilst the FZ45 (FZ40) only has a fixed version like on the FZ38, FZ28 and FZ18

The FZ100 & FZ45 Compared, as far as I can see they both use the same lens and sensor, price difference is down to greater sophistication of the FZ100 over the FZ45

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_...cts/displayResult.html?p=DMC-FZ45&p=DMC-FZ100

Also note the lack of a Macro Zoom function on the FZ45

DPReview have the data for FZ40 and FZ100; that mentions RAW for both cameras, something not mentioned on the Pana site. It also clearly mentions the difference in sensor type.

The list under focus is identical for the two cameras in DPreview, including mention of macro for FZ40. In fact, most of the items are identical on the two lists.

Niels

until a more significant step forward is made with the sensor size/high ISO performance

Do you think this is likely in the near future and thus worth delaying any decision for?

How about the FZ100 as an update for the FZ30, even though its speculative until reviews etc are available?;);)

It´s gonne be hard since the reason for the camera being so small is the small sensor. So in order to get better iso performance you need a bigger sensor, and then the camera will be bigger and bigger depending on how much better performance you want.

Will wait for the reviews, but I agree with you, its more than likely not going to be worth upgrading until a more significant step forward is made with the sensor size/high ISO performance

Do you think this is likely in the near future and thus worth delaying any decision for?

Don't think so....as far as I understand, large sensor = large lens ie DSLR...but I'm no expert

I guess from an older model it would be worth upgrading, but I've got the FZ38 so would probably not benefit so much

The FZ100 also has the flip out LCD, whilst the FZ45 (FZ40) only has a fixed version like on the FZ38, FZ28 and FZ18

Yes, I was aware of that.|=)|

I only use the viewfinder on the FZ28, never the LCD. With my eyesight, I need glasses to see the LCD (close range), but I don't (debatable |=)|) need glasses to see at longer range. So I'd be looking through bins - see a bird - put on glasses - use LCD on the camera to frame the shot, etc; it's not practical for me. But I can see how it might appeal to others to have a better LCD.

I think I've mentioned already; the most attractive feature, for me, on the FZ100, is the 15 frames @ 11fps continuous shooting. I'd also like the 5fps with AF tracking, but I'm not sure if it could keep up with a fast moving subject.

The more I think about it, the more I think that I'll be sticking with my FZ28, but hopefully the reviews of the FZ100 will change my mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back