• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

boat trips to coquet island (1 Viewer)

Mark A Spedding

Hello
im considering a trip up next July primarily to see Roseate Terns from the boat trip to Coquet Island.
Was wondering if anyone has any experience of these trips and how did they get on with the
Roseates? Would it be possible to get one or two record shots?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Mark

Hello
im considering a trip up next July primarily to see Roseate Terns from the boat trip to Coquet Island.
Was wondering if anyone has any experience of these trips and how did they get on with the
Roseates? Would it be possible to get one or two record shots?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Mark

Try Dave Gray's cruises from Amble 01665 711 975. Don't think the public can land on the island like the Farne Island cruises from Seahouses do.

No public landing on the island, but you have a fair chance of doing better than just record shots if you're on one of Dave Gray's boat trips :t:

cheers
martin

Thanks I just might do that.

My wife and I did the trip out to Coquet Island at the end of May this year and hope to do so again at the same time in 2015. Well worth it for excellent views of Roseate Tern both in the air and standing around on the rocks. We booked by phone the day before and the boat was full. Best to go at high tide so the boat can get closer to the island although I am not sure if the boat will go at other times. Roger

Amble is a tidal harbour, with a big sandbar just inside the harbour mouth, so there are limits to when the boat can sail :t:

cheers
martin

My wife and I did the trip out to Coquet Island at the end of May this year and hope to do so again at the same time in 2015. Well worth it for excellent views of Roseate Tern both in the air and standing around on the rocks. We booked by phone the day before and the boat was full. Best to go at high tide so the boat can get closer to the island although I am not sure if the boat will go at other times. Roger

Best is to go late afternoon (4-5 pm) a day or two after a new or full moon. That times it to high tide on a spring tide, when the boat can get closer in to the landing stage.

That makes these the best dates to try:
3-4 July
16-18 July

JUst did one of the "Puffin Cruises" back in June. I grew up next to the Farnes and saw plenty of Roseates up and down the coast so never really felt like doing the Coquet Island thing before. I was over visiting family and gave it a go - brilliant and not too long a boat trip for small children. We had an excellent time. No need to land for Roseates!

Record shot attached - taken hand held from the boat. For more pictures see here

Attachments

• Roseate_tern_2456_e.jpg
    Roseate_tern_2456_e.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 275
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back