• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Orlando (1 Viewer)

Phil Carter

I,ll be spending the second 2 weeks in April in the Orlando/Kissimmee area on a family holiday.Obviously,most of my time will be spent around the theme parks but I am planning a couple of trips out to do a bit of birding.The question is,where to go?
I've heard that Merritt Island and the Turkey Creek sanctuary are good sites but I've been unable to find out what they're supposed to be good for.So,any info on these or any other sites would be greatly appreciated.
I,m mainly interested in passerines and,as this is my first trip to the states even the commonest species should be new to me.However,2 species I would make special efforts to see are Prothonotary Warbler and swallow-Tailed Kite, so any possible sites for these would be especially welcome!
Also,what are my chances of Manatee in April?
Thanks in advance
Phil

frecklezgecko said:
I,ll be spending the second 2 weeks in April in the Orlando/Kissimmee area on a family holiday.Obviously,most of my time will be spent around the theme parks but I am planning a couple of trips out to do a bit of birding.The question is,where to go?
I've heard that Merritt Island and the Turkey Creek sanctuary are good sites but I've been unable to find out what they're supposed to be good for.So,any info on these or any other sites would be greatly appreciated.
I,m mainly interested in passerines and,as this is my first trip to the states even the commonest species should be new to me.However,2 species I would make special efforts to see are Prothonotary Warbler and swallow-Tailed Kite, so any possible sites for these would be especially welcome!
Also,what are my chances of Manatee in April?
Thanks in advance
Phil

Merritt Island is an excellent all round site Phil and you can see over 100 spp in a full day there. April will be really good for shorebirds and there are good areas for migrants as well.
There is a 6 mile one way wildlife drive called "Blackpoint Wildlife drive" that intersects wetland areas and is good for wadingbirds (eg. Least Bittern etc), shorebirds, terns, gulls, rails (including the elusive Black Rail), alligators, swamp sparrows, common yellowthroats............the list goes on. See link at end of page.
There are good places on the refuge to see Manatees, ask at the visitor center for directions.
Merritt Island is also home to the largest population of Florida Scrub-jays in the state.

If you are in Orlando I'd recommend going to the Orlando Wetlands Park and/or Mead Botanical Gardens. The former can be good for Limpkins and Snail KIte as well as plenty o' wading birds. The latter can be good for migrants and has a boardwalk which winds through a swampy hammock. I have seen Prothonotary Warbler there as well as numerous other warblers.

Never been to Turkey Creek but I hear its better in the autumn for migrants as are a lot of places in the state.

Other areas near Orlando that I can recommend include;

Three Lakes Wildlife Managment Area (Red-cockaded Woodpecker, Bachman's Sparrow, Brown-headed Nuthatch, Pine Warbler, Florida Grasshopper Sparrow)

Joe Overstreet Road (Sandhill Cranes, Crested Caracara, Eastern Meadowlarks, Wild Turkey, Snail Kite, Whooping Cranes (introduced), Bald Eagle, Killdeer, American Kestrel, Eastern Bluebird)

Lake Kissimmee Stae Park (Florida Scrub-jay, Sandhill Crane (there is usually a very tame pair near the park restrooms), Wild Turkey, Hairy Woodpecker, Red-headed Woodpecker, Bachman's Sparrow)

s it is your first trip to the states anywhere will be good, my first trip here was in 98 and we had about 20 lifers at Disney!

Hope you have a great time, here are a few useful URL's with more in depth info if needed.

http://www.floridabirdingtrail.com/

http://merrittisland.fws.gov/

http://gis.cityoforlando.net/fpr/net/t_ParkRec.aspx?Park=341

http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/usa/florida/florida5/FLORIDA98.htm

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back