• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mining application for open cast mining at Druridge Bay (1 Viewer)

This is where you come back in, Ian, saying thanks to 'Mr. Wobbler' for bringing facts and accurate information to this clearly misunderstood local issue, and that you'll do your best to:

a) correct any in your local birding group who think this is something to be challenged
b) go back on that other forum and correct their misinterpretation.
c) write to the RSPB suggesting they do not challenge this application, but use their influence to get the best possible outcome.
d) say thanks to 'Mr. Wobbler' and BF for resolving this misunderstanding.

Mick

P.S. To post a link. Go to the page you want to link to, highlight all the text in the long thin box at the top of your browser that gives the web page details - it will normally start with http://www ...... Once you've highlighted everything in the box, go to 'Edit', press 'Copy'. Then go to the thread/post in which you want to create the link, click on where in the post you want the link, go to 'Edit' and press 'Paste'. Simples.

OR just type 'how to post a link' in the same box at the top and follow the instructions.
Thanks for the comment, Mick, but I must point out an inadvertent inaccuracy in one of my posts, since corrected with an edit in my post above this one. I misread the grid spacing on the PDFs online and just noticed my mistake a few minutes ago. All other points stand. :)

Last edited:
Yes Alan ,Thanks a good informative read , not having seen the previous plans that may have sparked the uproar , however I am a bit of a cynic and think developers in general submit outlandish proposals which create outrage , proposals are then revised to what was required in the first place ,which are then met with more agreement .
As you have pointed out especially now advanced restoration is the order of the day the benefits seem to outweigh the negatives ,I think from my point of view some previously restored sites have not advanced/developed much over the years so how are all these other sites to be maintained .
Cheers
Brian

Yes Alan ,Thanks a good informative read , not having seen the previous plans that may have sparked the uproar , however I am a bit of a cynic and think developers in general submit outlandish proposals which create outrage , proposals are then revised to what was required in the first place ,which are then met with more agreement .
As you have pointed out especially now advanced restoration is the order of the day the benefits seem to outweigh the negatives ,I think from my point of view some previously restored sites have not advanced/developed much over the years so how are all these other sites to be maintained .
Cheers
Brian

In what way Brian? The restored sites at Linton, Acklington, Chester House, Togston, Radcliffe, Coldrife (Druridge Bay CP), Ladyburn, all now have mature hedges and semi-mature/mature trees, broadleaf and conifer. All but Linton are on the bay or just inland. The same goes for Butterwell, at Longhirst. The fields grow a variety of crops and pasture and are well matured, indistinguishable from the unworked land around them. I'd say these sites have come on very well indeed. I've purposely left Radar, Chibburn etc out of this list, because unfortunately they were restored to earlier standards of restoration in the 1950s and 60s when the industry was still in its infancy and feeling its way. I've also left out the sites that have just finished and are still in the 5 year aftercare plans, such as Stobswood, Steadsburn, Maiden's Hall and others in that vicinity. They've not had time to develop.

I'm referring to the agricultural and woodland restoration here of course, not the nature reserves. The management of those reserves since they were handed over is entirely up to the current owners and nothing to do with them being ex-opencast sites. Maybe that's what you're referring to. Take Cresswell for instance. It was never opencasted.

Regarding your 'I am a bit of a cynic and think developers in general submit outlandish proposals which create outrage , proposals are then revised to what was required in the first place ,which are then met with more agreement' I realise that is a view, but having been employed in the development side as well as the operational side of the business, I can assure you that is not the case.

Outrage was the last thing we set out to achieve. We put forward what we saw as the optimal proposal having already put in stand-offs from sensitive locations and other concessions, giving due regard to current planning guidance before even going to consultation prior to planning applications, taking account of what we thought the planners might find acceptable. Sometimes the plans went forward more or less as envisaged, but more often further concessions were made in the consultation process, sometimes these concessions were minor, sometimes major. I remember one site I was designing where I thought I had it right, but following a chat with a local resident at a public meeting I went back and spent the next few days redesigning the site entrance location, plant yard location and screening mound location around the yard. All to no avail. We never went forward with that site.

It appears that in the case of Highthorn, Banks have made very major concessions indeed. When this site was first being looked at by British Coal in the 1980s it was a toss-up whether to go for it or Stobswood as a replacement for Butterwell, a 1 million tonne per year site that was coming to an end. They decided to go for Stobswood and leave Highthorn on the shelf. It was a lot bigger in those days, but market and other conditions have changed since then. Having said that, anyone wanting wildlife considerations, habitat creation etc is pushing against an open door with the developers. They love it. The people involved with the site design are often as interested as we are, the bean-counters think it will look good and reduce opposition to other sites. Of course it never does - look at this one. No-one even noticed the promised wildlife improvements, but they were there for all to see at various stages of the consultation, pre-application. All that gets noticed are the campaign groups and their rhetoric. The press doesn't do good news.

As regards outrage - that comes whatever you do. It sells papers and there are more votes for local politicians being against something unpopular than there are for being in favour of it, whatever the merits in reality. We tried to adapt and convince, but there are some who do not want to be convinced and won't be. The only adaptation they would be happy with is 'not here'.

Our problem was, 'not here' wasn't always an option. You can only mine coal where it lies and it doesn't lie everywhere, we are not 'an island built on coal'. Even where it is it isn't always economical to mine, so you go where you can - and that usually ends up near a town or village that was built there in the first place in the 1800s/ 1900s or whenever precisely because it was sitting on top of coal reserves.

Last edited:
Further to what I was saying about field layouts and agricultural fashion above, I've dug out a couple of photos I took just short of 20 years ago - June 1996. Time flies. It feels like last week.

Photo 1. A general shot over Druridge Bay. The bulk of the foreground is taken up with the square, generally hedge-less fields from the 1960s/early 70s restoration of Radar. These are some of the fences that will be hedged by Banks. That's Druridge Pools Nature Reserve at the bottom, with East Chevington reserve pools (still filling for the first time) a little further up the coast, then Druridge Bay Country Park, then in the distance that pale sandy patch is the soil replacement at Chester House site, between Acklington and Amble. It's the most distant of 12 sites that are either wholly or partially shown in this shot.

The OP described the area as wild and beautiful. I honestly doubt whether there's another area in the whole of the UK that has been so intensively mined, yet driving past it today you wouldn't know. Even 20 years ago it looked good.

Photo 2 is an example of the more modern approach. This is Togston site, restored in the late 80s. It fills the space between the road in the foreground and the distant road towards the top of the photo. Beyond that, reaching to the coast is Radcliffe site with Hauxley Nature Reserve. That's Amble on the top left. A cut of silage is being taken from the fields in the centre, while around them the different colours of green show wheat, barley and pasture. The sandy patch at the bottom is overburden/subsoil restoration at Chester House site that had just finished coaling and was under restoration. It's awaiting the spreading of the topsoil that is visible in the grassed bank stretching around the site perimeter on the bottom edge of the nearest road.

I was the site engineer on Togston from the end of 1980 until it was all completed in 1986 (it started operating one foggy week in June 1979). It was handy, because at the time I lived right on the boundary in the rented farm cottage closest to the site amongst the trees on the mid-left of the photo. The site boundary fence was about 10 yards from my sitting room window. (More than this, it was on three sides, north, east and south of us). This had some drawbacks of course, particularly when we were working 24 hours in those days, but it meant I could keep an eye on the site even when I wasn't at work officially. I also had regular short-eared owls hunting the soil mound at the end of the garden and they would perch on the fence opposite my window. A telegraph pole next to that fence was a regular perch for a little owl hawking insects in the dusk (they bred in a hole in the overburden mound) and I had spotted flycatchers nesting in the hedgerow trees. I've got a bad photo somewhere of a spotted flycatcher on my garden fence, taken from our sitting room. I'll look it up.

Being on the site boundary had other advantages. I could catch a lift in an 85 tonne Cat 777 dumptruck, jump the fence at the bottom of the garden and go home for lunch, catching another dumper back to my office afterwards. I was doing that one day in October 1981 when I saw my first ever great grey shrike as it flew over my garden and perched in a tree on the site boundary.

Attachments

• 27-Radar-'F'-plus-11-other-sites,-14-june-96-web-.jpg
    27-Radar-'F'-plus-11-other-sites,-14-june-96-web-.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 184
  • 03-Togston-Restoration,-14-June-1996-web.jpg
    03-Togston-Restoration,-14-June-1996-web.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Here we are. Found it.

June 1982. Spotted Flycatcher sitting on my garden fence. Photo taken through the glass of my sitting room window with a Nikon FM, Vivitar 135mm lens and a Hoya 2x converter.

The nettles in the background mark the edge of the site.

Attachments

• 820619-Spotted-Flycatcher,-East-Lodge-web.jpg
    820619-Spotted-Flycatcher,-East-Lodge-web.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 180
On a working site there are vast areas where no machinery goes near for months at a time, or even longer and these hold a surprising amount of wildlife - I've had roe deer, foxes, badgers, hares, breeding shelduck, breeding little owls, breeding curlew (all on Druridge Bay sites) and (on a site we had at Penshaw) breeding little ringed plover on the overburden mound as well as little owl at the same place. The disturbance on an operating site to wildlife isn't as extreme as you might think and the actual active area is only a tiny proportion of the whole at any one time, with undisturbed areas in advance of the working void and replaced material awaiting progressive soil restoration behind it. The public doesn't get to know about these places, because the public isn't allowed there to disturb them.

In the last few years I was at Stobswood (about 2001 - 2003) we had a particular rarity. A peregrine nest. Nothing particularly rare about that you might say, but this nest was actually below sea level. That's rare. To the nesting pair the end wall, which on a site that size remained fairly static for long periods is nothing more than a cliff - and what's more a cliff without human disturbance other than the machines operating a few hundred metres away. This pair nested at a place about 60 metres or so down the face, at a point where the ground level was only 42 metres above sea level, just behind Stobswood East Farm. They fed on the numerous feral pigeons that also inhabited the area and kept the site personnel entertained when their young were fledged by carrying out food passes of pigeons over the cut. After the P&H dragline 'Ace of Spades' finished its task and was awaiting dismantling, they often used to perch on the dragline while it was parked up. When the site was eventually backfilled after working, they moved on.

Thanks for a VERY informative positive post Barred Wobbler :t: My husband Neil has been working on security on these sites since around 2007 (if memory serves me right) and would oftyen come after nightshift with tales of the various wildlife he had seen - Little Owls, adult and their young all perched on top of his corsa, Roe Deer & Foxes walking past his security booth, Barn Owls following him as he patrolled the grounds, Tawny Owls, breeding Oystercatchers to name but a few. He even told me about the breeding Peregrines too but I never mentioned those to anyone (not in this gun-happy area) so it's nice to hear that someone else knew about them too....and the workers enjoyed seeing them :t:
Neil is currently at Potland Burn, just outside Ashington, and even on that site he still has his regular Barn Owl following him...he told me just this morning when he got home at 8am of a Tawny Owl perching on one of the posts opposite his booth last night. He lets me know when the geese arrive back (he says they make a right racket all night long!) on nearby Bothal Pond. And they also have breeding Oystercatcher which, apparently, have a habit of making a nest just where the big trucks are so they put a fence around it until the young hatch & leave :t:

It would be interesting to see just what proportion of the folk complaining have actually lived in the area since the 60's and 70's so have seen the improvements. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if it's townie incomers who know nowt (and care even less!) about wildlife but just want the kudos of living close to the coast! ;). One of my oldest friends lives right next door to the Stobswood site and she had no complaints about it and even when work was in full swing she still had her Barn Owls and other wildlife visiting.

Apologies for resurrecting this one.

I live on the door step of the Highthorn development and have NOT been opposed to it, mostly for reasons given by Barred Wobbler. And likewise have no connection with any of the companies involved, just being someone who's lived here for many years.

I've lived here long enough that the Steadsburn site was in operation and I have to say I hardly noticed it...

A thing that interests me is that a number of the "Save Druridge" crowd were also opposed to the wind turbines which are currently going up to the east of Widdrington Village, and that many of them have been in favour of the "Blue Sky Forest" mega-tourist site proposals, or whichever version of that is being touted at any given time, for the old opencast sites to the east of Widdrington.

The level of ignorance of how our local post-industrial landscape developed is pretty appalling, as is the promotion of the tourist site proposals which will be far more damaging to the local area and wildlife than Highthorn...

Sorry to resurrect this thread but open cast mining has been given the go ahead at Druridge Bay in Northumberland according to the environmental section of the Guardian on the Internet. Can someone put up the link as I'm not sure how to do this. Hope there's an appeal against this. Very very sad.
Ian.

Hope there's an appeal against this. Very very sad.
Ian.

Personally, if this means that after seven years we get more accessible birding sites, then I can't wait. The new wind turbines are more of a blot on the landscape and they are going to be there a lot longer than seven years.

hi all, just a quick question about the kittiwake colony on the cliffs at Tynemouth next to the Pier. Have they always nested there and if yes has the colony got larger? I can only remember seeing fulmar nesting there.

hi all, just a quick question about the kittiwake colony on the cliffs at Tynemouth next to the Pier. Have they always nested there and if yes has the colony got larger? I can only remember seeing fulmar nesting there.

Atlas of Breeding Birds in Northumbria (1995): "The cliffs at Tynemouth held five pairs in 1957 but numbers here have remained small"

Birds in Northumbria:
2010 - 189 nests
2011 - 208 nests
2012 - 197 nests
2013 - 147 nests
2014 - 234 nests

So they've been there a long time, but have increased substantially.

Thanks Nutcracker, apologies for posting that on here, I was reading the posts last night and forgot I wasn`t on the main page

One reason the mining shouldn't go on at Druridge Bay is that mining is one of the things that shouldn't be happening as mining fossil fuel is one of the biggest things that causes climate change and I know of people who think the same as me.
Ian

The Dutch parliament has decided to close down it's coal industry as help towards climate change according to the environmental section of The Guardian.. I think it would be a good thing if the UK parliament did the same here.
Ian.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back