• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Setting up Your Own Hide (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone - just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on / experience with the actual practicality of erecting your own hides for photography.

I’m in the position in the summer to have the time and resources to construct / possibly buy a floating hide, which is something I’ve always loved the idea of in theory, however just wondering about how feasible it would actually be to use in the UK?

In an ideal world you could use it on any water body, but obviously in reality some are private / protected areas etc. As long as the water body was public, or connected to a public footpath would it be as simple as setting up and to start shooting?

Really appreciate any thoughts / experience people have!

Interesting to hear any comments on this! I have tried a floating hide but it was in a private small lake in Bulgaria. I did manage to get a couple of shots of the target species but it was a lot more difficult to use than I imagined. The problem wasn't the floating hide which worked very well, it was with the uneven ground you walk across when you suddenly find yourself out of your depth. I was wearing a full set of chest waders like the ones anglers use but gradually they began to fill up with water making it very hard going, especially trying to get out of the lake at the end by which time the water was up to my chest and I must have weighed about 200kgs!
You would need to be particularly careful where you attempted to use the hide and might find that the places that look ideal on the surface might not be under water. On the other hand a design which enabled you to sit in it and happily paddle with your feet using flippers might be a winner! Keep us posted!

Hi Dave

I have a friend who's made them and I've also found a couple of sites you can buy professionally made ones from (obviously a lot more expensive) - From what I've heard, in theory you could use a wetsuit and flippers and swim in deeper water, but in practice it's too hard to take photos when you're not standing on solid ground. This would therefore limit to using wetsuit / flippers in shallow water (not waders in case you accidentally walk into deep water and then can't swim in them). The main issue in the UK I think is getting permission and finding places to use them. I've emailed a few people to will keep you updated!

I was in Yellowstone a few years ago and encountered a fly fisherman who was operating in a small lake in an inflatable armchair which he propelled backwards by wearing flippers. Outstanding improvisation!

An inflatable sit-on kayak and a ghillie suit or bag hide might be the answer, but it might also mean its a silly question!

Good luck and report back.....

John

Kayaks and cameras are a no go for me. Too unstable.

Fair point, in that case forget the chest waders and go for a proper wetsuit in your rubber ring floating hide. I was hugely amused watching Johnny Kingdom with his!

As an ex-canoeist I'd just point out there are kayaks and kayaks: you could have a nice broad in the beam one that you won't fall out of or off: or just keep your camera in a watertight bag until you are in position and sitting still.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back