• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird guide for Ethiopia (1 Viewer)

Lily von Stoep

Hi there!
Can anyone recommend from their experience a good bird guide for Ethiopia, preferably one that can be found easily (with Amazon or the likes?)

thank you!!!
Noa

Lily von Stoep said:
Hi there!
Can anyone recommend from their experience a good bird guide for Ethiopia, preferably one that can be found easily (with Amazon or the likes?)

thank you!!!
Noa

Hi,

Whereabouts in Ethiopia are you? I'm envious. Spent three weeks there in 2003 and loved it.

Th eonly field guide that covers Ethiopia is
Birds of Africa South of the Sahara: A Comprehensive Illustrated Field Guide
Ian Sinclair, Peter Ryan
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...8-4/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i4_xgl/203-2086940-1839920

but I would also recommend

Birds of East Africa (Helm Field Guides S.)
Terry Stevenson, John Fanshawe
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0713673478/ref=pd_cpt_gw_3/203-2086940-1839920

as this covers all the African species except endemics and most of the European migrants, although a few are missing.

Depending on finances it may be worth considering
Birds of the Middle East (Helm Field Guides S.)
R.F. Porter, S. Christensen, P Schiermacker-Ansen
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...8-7/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i7_xgl/203-2086940-1839920

as this covers the European migrants well, as well as some other species.

THere was a useful little booklet on Ethiopian endemics but that is no longer on Amazon. Th epublisher is Ethiopian though so you might find it in Addis.

Thank you for all that info!! Wow!
Just to make sure I understood: if I want a guide which includes endemics as well as most birds in Ethiopia, I should go for the first option you have suggested?

Lily von Stoep said:
Thank you for all that info!! Wow!
Just to make sure I understood: if I want a guide which includes endemics as well as most birds in Ethiopia, I should go for the first option you have suggested?

Yes. It is the only one which has the endemics. It's compiled from various South African published guides, so there is some variety in the quality of the illustrations, and the taxonomy is a bit controversial, but it's a good book. The standard of illustrations in Stevenson & Fanshawe is generally better 9and more consistent) and the text is more detailed.

Now I'm home, the book on endemics is 'A Guide to Endemic Birds of Ethiopia and Eritrea', published by Shama Books in Addis and written by Jose Luis Vivero Pol. Worth tracking down.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back