• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

rural/sub-urban comparison (1 Viewer)

Simon A

I've recently relocated from a from a 30 acre property (not mine I'm sorry to say) in the Hills to the east of Adelaide to the suburbs of the city itself. Needless to say, the contrast between the birds present in the immediate vicinity of the respective houses, is stark indeed.

A foray into the garden of the rural dwelling (which still boasted a reasonable chunk of native woodland) could yield superb fairy wren, crescent honeyeater, new holland honeyeater, little wattlebird, grey-shrike thrush, scarlet robin, red-browed firetail and various other passerines (not to mention grey kangaroo!).

The sub-urban garden has thus far only provided two Native species (N H honeyeater and white-plumed honeyeater), but a number of introduced species, namely, house sparrow, European blackbird, European starling and spotted laughing dove.

Wondered if anyone else has noticed such a dismal contrast between rural and sub-urban localities only a few miles apart?

Cheers,

Laugher v's Turtle

I think I may have lapsed into my own vernacular (and vague recollections of a holiday in The Gambia) there - I think the official name is Spotted Turtle Dove (Streptopelia chinensis), and it appears to have been intorduced into Australia in 1912 in Brisbane Botanic Gardens. Needless to say, it thrives in man-made locations, and has spread all around the east and south coasts.

Cheers,

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back