• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Night Parrot (1 Viewer)

Is someone here who can explain me why one of the rarest birds in the world should reclassified from critically endangered to endangered? The assessments by BLI are sometimes really weird.
http://www.birdlife.org/globally-th...d-list-final-decisions/australia-2010-2011-2/

I expect it's from a reassessment by Australians of the evidence they hold or have deduced. I've worked in areas where the assumed habitat of the species covers hundreds of square kilometres with scarcely a track within it, and where no surveys have ever been done - there could have been hundreds or none in the area. Furthermore, it's highly likely that the species shares (shared?) the tendency for desert species to be irruptively nomadic to areas where some rain may have fallen that year. If you want a really difficult problem of prediction, try the Night Parrot!
MJB

Last edited:
Here's the rationale given on the BLI Globally Threatened Bird Forums:
Proposed revisions to Australian endemics based on forthcoming Status of Australian Birds

The following Australian endemic species have been proposed for reassessment following a comprehensive reassessment of the Status of Australian Birds (Garnett, S.T. and Szabo, J. in press. Action Plan for Australian Birds 2010. CSIRO, Melbourne)

Reassessment of the status of Australian species was undertaken through a review of all peer-reviewed and unpublished literature for the last ten years and through consultation with experts on each taxon either individually or in workshops held in every major Australian city during 2010.

Is the Night Parrot Pezoporus occidentalis more likely to be Endangered than Critically Endangered?

Currently listed as Critically Endangered D (population suspected to number <50 mature individuals), an expert panel recently estimated all IUCN Red List parameters for this species based on advice from local experts and published data. While there was a high level of uncertainty, they concluded that the species more closely met the criteria for EN B2ab(iii)c(ii,iii,iv), D because that AOO is probably very small (provisionally estimated at 500km2), scattered among few locations and probably fluctuates greatly while the overall condition of the habitat is thought to be declining. This change in status would be based on new knowledge: putative and specimen-based sightings at widely separated sites suggest that a population estimate of <50 mature individuals is untenable.
www.birdlife.org/globally-threatened-bird-forums/2011/02/1068

I think this reassessment is prematured as there are only very few documented reports of living specimens.

Perhaps you are right, but given the indications of a thorough overview as provided by Richard, and the context in which the Australians have carried out the review (after all, it's their species and they are the most intimately concerned), I would argue simply on the words used in these few posts, that on balance you are wrong. If there is background information which has not been presented here, then I would be happy to stand corrected.

I tend to back field experience and fieldcraft against remote academic interpretations, but I've also been wrong about that, too!
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back