• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

id help sparrow and juvenile bird south of finland (1 Viewer)

JennyMK

Helo everyone!

I have seen two birds this autumn that I have not been able to identify, and hoping maybe someone here would be able to help me.

The first is a sparrow-like bird I saw in Helsinki in october. It was in company with a flock of house sparrows waiting for breadcrumbs at a cafe. It was the same size and had the same behavior as a house sparrow, but with dark brown head.

The second I saw in my hometown 80km southwest of Helsinki. The closest I can guess is that it maybe is a juvenile redpoll?? I have never seen this bird before. it is not the best of photos, but I hope it is good enough to id.

I am very thankful for all the help you can give!

Jenny

Attachments

• sparrowunknown.JPG
    sparrowunknown.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 119
  • unknownbird2.jpg
    unknownbird2.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 100
Thank you so much for your help lou and Nutcracker!! Apparently I have seen the siskin before, in Spain, but that was an adult male, thats why I did not think of it… I did not know we had them in Finland as well! I never seen a house sparrow with such a dark head before, so now I learned something new! Thank you again!!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back