• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

C740/C750 owners - Minimum focus distance for TCON17? (1 Viewer)

mipettin

-
Hi

Got my TCON17 for my C-740UZ. Tried taking a close up of some birds on a feeder today and it wouldn't focus lock.

Is there a minimum focus distance. Is this minimum focus distance just for Auto, can Manual Focus be used to reduce the focus distance?

Martin
-

mipettin said:
-
Hi

Got my TCON17 for my C-740UZ. Tried taking a close up of some birds on a feeder today and it wouldn't focus lock.

Is there a minimum focus distance. Is this minimum focus distance just for Auto, can Manual Focus be used to reduce the focus distance?

Martin
-

I guess there must be a minimum distance, you don't really say how close you were, but i find with the FUJI camera and Teleconverter i need a bit of light before i get a good focus lock at full zoom, so i just knock the zoom back a bit and it's ok. I guess manual focus would get round the problem, but how close is close?

Teleconvertors don't usually affect minimum focus distance but do reduce light transmission-reduced light levels through the lens may render autofocus inoperative but manual focus is still possible.

I agree that low light affects auto-focus, but the TCON-17 does not lower the light coming in, at least if you believe what Olympus says, plus it seems that way when I use it (yes, this is different from the way teleconverters behave that mount between the camera and the lens). For example, if I try a shot without the TCON-17 and the camera sets itself at say F3.5 and shutter speed 100, if I then put the converter on, it still picks the same settings.

I believe that the C-7x0 cameras use verticle objects to focus on. If there is no strong verticle objects in the scene, that may be causing the problem.

Also, you can zoom back some with the TCON-17 mounted without getting fringing. You may be able to get it to focus if you just zoom back a little.

Rich

I use the Tcon 17 and for that matter the Tcon 14 with an Olympus C2100UZ.

The Tcon 17 alone doesn't affect the amount of light entering the camera, in fact it seems to boost the light levels. However it does reduce the minimum focus distance. The C2100UZ will focus down to 39" on it's own, but this increases to about 50" with the Tcon 17 added - at max optical zoom.

In these circumstances I'd be inclined to give the manual focus ago try out.

If you keep the macro setting on at all times in the P mode and ASM mode, you can focus pretty close in those settings using the converter. If I find myself too close to focus in the other preset modes, I usually quickly switch to the P or ASM mode.

My optics [C700] are the same as yours and with the Tcon-17 I can focus from about 5m [ about 16' for imperialist poms still living in the past].
I think you will find that your 10x zoom on the camera alone serve you well up to this distance anyhow. I do most of my shooting on auto as it is smarter than I am for everyday use. I only go manual when I want to control specific needs.
Good luck
Robert [who has just discovered a family "First Fleet" convict heritage.

mipettin said:

This is an old thread but I'll answer it anyway. The TCON17 minimum is around 9 feet (3m). I find that using manual focus is the only way to get reliable shots close up.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back