• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quick test on Meade Triplet (1 Viewer)

Musoman

PETE - Nikon/Sony Shooter
United Kingdom
Finally got my custom ext tube back from my engineer pal, and have already flocked the inside.

In the non CPU lens data of my Nikon D300, there is no option to set 700mm focal length on manual lenses. I could either have 600mm or 800mm. So i set it for both and took 2 identical shots.

For the 600mm focal length, i chose f6.3 aperture in the set up, and for the 800mm focal length i chose the f7.1 aperture, to see which came out best.

The 200mm ext tube with Nikon F mount grafted on ( using tapped threads and 2mm stainless steel counter-sunk machine screws )

Attachments

• ext tube 1.jpg
    ext tube 1.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 101
  • ext tube 2.jpg
    ext tube 2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 96
And test shots - very boring, but i am still on crutches due to the leg operation and did not have the luxury of going outside.

These are with the manual data set in the camera as 600mm f6.3

1) The original just resized,

2) 100% crop without any PP,

3) No.2 but with some minimal PP

Attachments

• chubb original @ 600mm f6.3.jpg
    chubb original @ 600mm f6.3.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 80
  • chubb @ 100 crop 600mm f6.jpg
    chubb @ 100 crop 600mm f6.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 87
  • chubb @ 100 crop 600mm f6 PP.jpg
    chubb @ 100 crop 600mm f6 PP.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
These are with the manual data set in the camera as 800mm f7.1

1) The original just resized,

2) 100% crop without any PP,

3) No.2 but with some minimal PP

Attachments

• chubb original @ 800mm f7.1.jpg
    chubb original @ 800mm f7.1.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 64
  • chubb @ 800mm 100 crop f7.1.jpg
    chubb @ 800mm 100 crop f7.1.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 71
  • chubb @ 800mm 100 crop f7.1 PP.jpg
    chubb @ 800mm 100 crop f7.1 PP.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 67
Well, i'm very happy with the results. I haven't even flocked the inside of the Meade 102 focuser tube yet.

Photo distance was 160ft according to Google Earth

Shot in Manual ( camera setting ) ISO 200 - A priority - Single Focus - Spot Meter - 160th SS ( Photo set 1 )

Shot in Manual ( camera setting ) ISO 200 - A priority - Single Focus - Spot Meter - 1/250th SS ( Photo set 2 )

Strange, i would have thought that 600mm @ f6.3 would have got the faster shutter speed, but EXIF states the 800mm @ f7.1 got the faster shutter speed

The sun must have come out on the 800mm photo set, and i didnt notice

Last edited:
Extra test on the Meade, this time a moon shot.

Still happy with the results, and at some point i'm looking forward to getting out into the big wide world with the Meade

Attachments

• meade moon.jpg
    meade moon.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 118
nice details on that moon shot. Amazing what can be achieved with todays "toys" :) What wouldn't Galileo have given for one of those, eh?

Extra test on the Meade, this time a moon shot.

Still happy with the results, and at some point i'm looking forward to getting out into the big wide world with the Meade

Very nice. Close up, a little more mottled than pixelated...
Time for the flocking, maybe a little extra hood....I think you've got even
more good stuff to come. The Moon really blasts things.

I havent flocked the main tube mr NUT, because being a triplet, I didnt want to disturb the collimation. I had no such problems when i used the SW 80ED, due to its construction, and so i flocked the whole tube.

The focuser on the meade isn't flocked, but there's 200mm of extension tube inside the focuser tube, and the 200mm extension tube is probably longer than the focuser tube itself. The 200mm extension tube is flocked though. So is the rather large dew shield

Could be some very slight shake in the shot ? Or perhaps the Nikon manual lens data is incorrect, which would be my fault too. You cannot set the manual lens data for 700mm ( 714mm to be precise ) as the camera body does not give this option. I can set manual lens data to either 600mm or 800mm with a choice of apertures.

Last edited:
Only just managed my first trip out yesterday ( 1st Oct. ) due to still mending after my major op, but happy that i could give the Meade a workout.

I consider the photos a bit average, due to the distance - they were just too far away for my liking, even for 714mm, so i think the Meade will do better when I can get closer to the the subjects

These were shot from a bird hide at Whelford Pools in Gloucestershire

Lesser Black Backed Gull and 2 shots of a Widgeon

Attachments

• LBBG.jpg
    LBBG.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Widgeon 2.jpg
    Widgeon 2.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Widgeon.jpg
    Widgeon.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 99
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back