• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax SP 12x50 WP collimation (1 Viewer)

hr21

Dear All,

I have recently purchased these and they arrived today.

I have a query about collimation (they were used but in 'very good' condition - inspection suggests brand new just missing their box)

At range (say looking at something about 1km away) the image is good, no signs of double image at all - very central. Very clear too.

However, looking at something say, 20ft away, the image does show signs of more double image, not a single circle but rather more a double image showing. It is clear still but not quite right. I have tested my daughters RSPB puffin and they do not do this but of course their close focus is much closer than 20ft whereas these is about 20ft.

I'm wondering...

Is this normal from such a high powered pair?
How can I test definitely the collimation?
Should I keep them or send them back?

Thanks.

The Pentax 12x50 SP is I think a Porroprism binocular with wider objectives.
Close up the effect you describe can occur.
Try altering the IPD, see if it helps.

The Puffin may be a roofprism with narrower spacing.

So long as at middle and far distance you have no eyestrain at all it should be O.K.

The Pentax 12x50 SP is I think a Porroprism binocular with wider objectives.
Close up the effect you describe can occur.
Try altering the IPD, see if it helps.

The Puffin may be a roofprism with narrower spacing.

So long as at middle and far distance you have no eyestrain at all it should be O.K.

Thanks - what is the IPD?

Interpupillary distance. The distance between your eyes pupils.
This varies without optical aid as one looks closer.
But varying the eyepiece separation with binoculars can help with nearer views.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back