• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bridge Camera + External Flash + Better Beamer: Advice & Techniques? (2 Viewers)

CalvinFold

Anyone here have experience using superzoom bridge cameras with an external (hotshoe) flash and a flash extender like the Better Beamer?

I'm looking for advice on settings that might be a good starting point for my experiments. I know there is lots of DSLR advice on the subject, and I will start there lacking any other info, but wondered if anyone had advice specific to superzoom (1000+mm equivalent focal length) bridge (small sensor) cameras. "Tricks" that aren't covered in the DSLR tutorials are the most needed.

For my part, this specifically will be a Canon SX60 HS + Canon Speedlite 430EX II + FX-5 Better Beamer.

For example:
One trick with the SX60 without a flash is to use shutter priority to force the camera to shutter speeds I need (1/800 to 1/1250), keep ISO at 400 or less, and to always run -1/3 to -2/3 EV to prevent the highlights from blowing out (ETTL).

So how will this formula be affected by using flash? Aside from bringing more light to shots that would otherwise be impossible, that is.

I freely admit to an amateur understanding of the mechanics of photography at times, and have learned by experimentation...so apologies for any naïeveté.

Anyone here have experience using superzoom bridge cameras with an external (hotshoe) flash and a flash extender like the Better Beamer?

Posted a similar question in another forum and no answers also. Suspect extenders not too popular.

If you do a search on beamer you will come up with several threads in the Cameras forum on this site.

I have done fill in flash on a robin with the bird totally ignoring me, on the other hand many kilojoules of focussed light may have fried its eyes so I suspect that common sense is needed. Whilst not having used a Better Beamer a different flash focussing attachment I owned could have an 'adverse affect' on humans if not used with care, I can understand why there may be a bit of prejudice against them.

I get that, and I only use the Beamer on long-range subjects past the 50m mark. Or at least that's the intent, because now that I have one of course I haven't spotted birds that far out. |:p| I can shoot flash photos without the beamer at shorter ranges, and keep flash use to a minimum in any case.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back