• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon Powershot A95 and Swarovski ATS 65 HD setup help! (1 Viewer)

Neal Warnock

Hi all,

I’m a newcomer to digiscoping and so far have been using a Canon powershot A95 with a Swarovski ATS 65 HD spotting scope. I have mostly been using it hand held to the scope and have experimented with a few homemade adaptors. These have both produced decent shots, but I would now like to try a more permanent attachment, to improve results. From what I can gather from previous Birdforum threads and various websites, the available options include:

1. SRB-Griturn swing out camera bracket Model II
2. Swarovski DCA and Canon LA DC52D (will I need a step ring?)
3. Baader Microstage II
4. L.C.E Adapter (what thread 37mm?)
5. Eagle Optics Digimount adaptor LO

I would like to retain the use of the Swarovski zoom eyepiece. Please can anybody offer any advice on how these adaptors can be used with this camera and scope? Where to buy these in the UK? Which is best for the price? Etc. I am hesitant to go anywhere near the DCA at that ridiculous price and am drawn towards giving the Baader Microstage II a go, as I have read that with a little tweaking you can retain the use of the zoom on the scope. The ₤30 price tag also appeals.

I would also like to buy a cable release bracket (inc cable) that would work on the Canon A95 and my Panasonic FZ7. Any suggestions welcome.

Any help at all would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Neal Warnock.

I used to have a similar set-up to yours (same camera, ATS80HD) and used it very successfully with the Baader adapter. Nothing wrong with it, except that it's a bit bulky, so I used to carry a small rucksack with it and the camera in. You can use the zoom easily by just loosening the bolt that clamps it to the eyepiece, and adjusting it with your other hand. Just be carefull to hold onto the adapter when you do, so the camera lens doesn't slip down and scratch the eyepiece glass. Works well with fixed eyepieces too on almost any scope.

I now have the DCA which is lighter, more compact and perhaps slightly faster to connect once set up, but it won't improve your pictures. The Baader would be a good starter adapter and could still be used if you change cameras. With the DCA, you shouldn't need a step-up ring as it comes with 3-4 alternative rings, including a 52mm one which just screws onto the LA DC52D. The other end has a bayonet fit for the camera.

Steve

I got an excellent cable release bkt for my A510 from SRB Griturn. But note that because, on the A510, the tripod mount is offset to one side, further away from the shutter release, I had to get the longer armed SLR model bracket instead of the compact bkt. SRB were very helpful when I emailed them the distance from the tripod mount to the other side of the camera.

I use a Visionary "L" adapter, with mixed results: its a bit fiddly and I keep losing screws! When I upgarde my scope I intend to get the SRB griturn swingout adapter.

Personally as you have the Swaro scope, I would go the Swaro way, there will be info on connecting your camera on their website. If it is the swing down adapter, I do not think you will need anything else for digiscoping. The combo should be solid enough to negate the need for a remote release, try it first before any extra expense.

The next best choice would be the SRB mk11 altough some consider it is bulky. It is an excellent adapter and again when set up, is so rigid a remote release is not neccessary. I would go for these two before the others.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back