• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica ultravid HD 8X32 - Swarovski 8X32 el (1 Viewer)

arran

Hi there ,

looking out to buy one of these is quite a dilema.
Could anyone give me some advice ?
Birding and nature observation is the use.

Price of both bins , is more or less the same.

Thanks for help

Try them if you can--personal fit is key when the optics of both is top notch. If you wear glasses, the Leica might have insufficient eye-relief (only listed at 13 mm). They also have a somewhat narrower FOV. I have the El's and quite like them--esp. the ergonomics.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
I'm a Leica fan, but like Jim said personal fit sometimes conflicts with the absolute view. I liked the sharpness and contrast slightly better with the Ultravids, but I had slight black-outs with them, the ELs were much easier to my eyes to get that full, no black-out view. I like the ergonomics of both, though they are quite different.

John

They are both superb, so as others have already said, your individual preferences for optical personality and ergonomics are likely most relevant in determining the deciding factors.

Though they are certainly different, I'd say I like them equally overall w/respect to optics and ergonomics. For me, the most relevant factors in choosing between them would be the following:

eye-relief (EL is a bit better if you wear glasses)
size (Ultravid is _much_ more compact, so I'd pick it over EL for travel, backpacking etc)
focus stiffness in cold (Ultravid works better if used for extended periods in extreme cold)

If any of these three factors matter to you, then be aware that these binos differ w/respect to them. If they don't, choose the one you like best after trying them both side by side.

--AP

Just a note regarding eye relief. In practical terms, the Leica ER, even though stated at 13mm, is greater than the ER on my x32 Zeiss which are rated at 16mm, so you really need to test them personally. The Swaros are listed as 15mm. I tried the Swaros a couple of years ago and did not like the ergonomics, but that is just personal. I also agree that centering is critical for the Leicas, but I am used to it, and love the view.

Just a note regarding eye relief. In practical terms, the Leica ER, even though stated at 13mm, is greater than the ER on my x32 Zeiss which are rated at 16mm, so you really need to test them personally.

I agree with the need to test personally because there is always the possibility that some peculiarity of one's facial anatomy (or one's glasses, if applicable) will favor the fit of one model over the other, despite the specs. Case in point: jacquot's claim that the Zeiss 8x32 FL has less eye-relief than the Leica 8x32 Ultravid. It is simply not so, even taking into account differences in how manufacturers measure/report eye-relief. The Zeiss 8x32 FL has longer eye-relief than either the EL or the Ultravid, but if one has deep-set eyes or wears large diameter glasses, the larger diameter ocular cups on the FL might prevent access to all that is there.

--AP

To summarise what's been said - find a retailer who will let you try the Leica, Swaro, and Zeiss, side by side and outdoors. Pick whichever fits your eyes and hands best. Enjoy!

Published technical specs, and indeed the opinions of others [included, of course, mine!] are only really useful as guidelines - our individual differences are such that only by trying for yourself can you find the right optics for you. Leica and Swarovski [and of course Zeiss] make excellent binoculars, close enough in quality that individual interface is the biggest difference between them.

To summarise what's been said - find a retailer who will let you try the Leica, Swaro, and Zeiss, side by side and outdoors. Pick whichever fits your eyes and hands best. Enjoy!

Published technical specs, and indeed the opinions of others [included, of course, mine!] are only really useful as guidelines - our individual differences are such that only by trying for yourself can you find the right optics for you. Leica and Swarovski [and of course Zeiss] make excellent binoculars, close enough in quality that individual interface is the biggest difference between them.

Couldn't have put it better.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back